Home Sports Talk
Options

St.Louis Cardinals Pitcher Bob Gibson Has Passed Away

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Age 84. Just heard on ESPN Radio. He was great.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. He was one of the most feared pitchers in baseball history. He threw the ball with everything he had. He fanned 17 in game 1 of the 1968 World Series. He was intense on the mound.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was my kind of pitcher, he threw everything into his pitches. The kind of guy you would dread facing at the plate.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

He changed pitching forever. Because of his dominance MLB lowered the mound. RIP

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

He had a rep for being mean, etc., but that was only on the mound. I read his autobio and there were a couple of funny stories in there.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best of all time.

RIP

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a fairly good hitter as well. 24 HR,.206 average. And faced opposing pitchers from the plate with his at bats. Did not duck them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2020 10:52PM

@ernie11 said:
    He had a rep for being mean, etc., but that was only on the mound. I read his autobio and there were a couple of funny stories in there.

Unfortunately, he had a rep off the field of being... challenging, we'll say.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

If memory serves, I think he hit .300 in either 70 or 71. great athlete

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.