Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Interesting ebay sale competed today: Pete Rose Rookie SGC 9.5

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

To me, nothing says "high class" like charging $95 shipping on a $90,000 card.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a card recently and charged $100 for shipping and lost money on it. Was actually $107.

Curious what the actual shipping is on a card this expensive.

I guess my mind just operates differently. It's like selling a Ferrari for $238,100 and then having optional floor mats for $100. I'd much rather buy from the guy who charges $238,200 and throws in the floor mats.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

A human who is actually breathing with decent eyesight looked at that in grading and said it was MINT and then said it was even more spectacular and therefore the 9.5 grade. That's a nice looking card; but come on folks.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2020 4:23PM

Centering is not perfect and upper left corner is suspect...but color as well as registration are outstanding.

mint_only_pls
  • Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

is that a black spot below the RO in ROOKIE? And some other white splotching in the blue banner? Top it off with slightly off l/r centering and the top left corner, and I'd say 8.5 may be a better fit for a grade?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive never understood the people that get all in a pucker when sellers charge shipping on expensive items. first off, if you dont want to pay the shipping cost, dont bid. secondly, why should the seller have to eat that cost just because an item is expensive? It costs alot to safely ship an expensive item.

just out of curiosity, I wonder what the cutoff is for the seller to eat shipping costs? $500? $1000? $10,000?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    Ive never understood the people that get all in a pucker when sellers charge shipping on expensive items. first off, if you dont want to pay the shipping cost, dont bid. secondly, why should the seller have to eat that cost just because an item is expensive? It costs alot to safely ship an expensive item.

just out of curiosity, I wonder what the cutoff is for the seller to eat shipping costs? $500? $1000? $10,000?

Just like the floormat example, simply add your shipping costs into your price or minimum bid. Again, probably just me, but it gives the appearance of nickel and diming someone. It's all in the presentation.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2020 8:11PM

@craig44 said:

for bin items, it's pretty simple actually. just factor in the cost of shipping in your asking price. "free" shipping is also proven to attract more sales and make the buying experience a more pleasant experience.

amazon didn't blow up by charging $4.99 shipping.

i am also of the opinion that charging any amount of shipping on a $100k item reflects poorly upon the seller and i certainly wouldn't want to split a dinner tab w them. i feel like it would be a long conversation about who had the extra glass of wine outta the last bottle.

edited September 27, 2020 6:38AM

For comparison...here is my SGC-92 (8.5) and the new holder SGC-9.5 1963 Pete Rose. Mine was purchased in 2014 at REA and I was told by REA that the original owner would open wax packs back in the day (1963) and chew the gum then place cards back in the pack...not to be looked at again. REA bought him out and submitted to SGC themselves my Rose Rookie. My cost $9600...

mint_only_pls
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    For comparison...here is my SGC-92 (8.5) and the new holder SGC-9.5 1963 Pete Rose. Mine was purchased in 2014 at REA and I was told by REA that the original owner would open wax packs back in the day (1963) and chew the gum then place cards back in the pack...not to be looked at again. REA bought him out and submitted to SGC themselves my Rose Rookie. My cost $9600...

I think yours looks better and just 80,000 less, not bad.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

8.5 is nicer

• 19591959 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

The focus is so much better on the 8.5. Nicer card than the 9.5

• A Rose rookie in PSA 10 for comparison.

edited September 27, 2020 10:24PM

Beautiful PSA-10! Perfectly centered w/o tilt to white border...gorgeous color and dead-on registration...and minty corners w/o chipping of blue "nameplate" of card. Only flaw is a print dot below Gonzalez bill of his cap...so not a perfect card.

mint_only_pls
  • Obviously the 10 is stunning but this 9.5 is the second nicest Rose ROkkie I have seen. The PSA that sold on ebay for $100K wasn't even close to the SGC 9.5 and no where remotely close to the PSA10. Seems like the top left corner was an issue in all of these cards.

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

for bin items, it's pretty simple actually. just factor in the cost of shipping in your asking price. "free" shipping is also proven to attract more sales and make the buying experience a more pleasant experience.

amazon didn't blow up by charging $4.99 shipping.

i am also of the opinion that charging any amount of shipping on a $100k item reflects poorly upon the seller and i certainly wouldn't want to split a dinner tab w them. i feel like it would be a long conversation about who had the extra glass of wine outta the last bottle.

So for you it is all about optics? you dont mind paying the shipping costs, you just dont want to "see" it. seems a little silly to me. comparing Amazon to sellers on ebay is a terrible comparison. Its comparing apples to elephants.

Its simple, if you want the card, pay the shipping. do you really need a warm and fuzzy feeling from "free" shipping that isnt free at all?

the 8.5 looks nicer than the 9.5 to me.