Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

SOLD

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin (well, token) is up for bids right here.

Best bid received by 11:00 PM Eastern US time on Monday, September 14th will win it.

Starting bid: $265. Please bid in $10 increments.

SOLD, for $450.
("a...a" from CU)

Check the edit timestamp at the top to see how recent this information is. I'll try to do periodic updates.

Payment via PayPal is preferred (maybe the Friends & Family method to spare me the fees, if you're OK with that). Old-fashioned check or money order payment is also accepted.

Belgium (Liège, Chapter of St. Lambert): copper charity token; skull & bones, ca. 1650
PCGS XF40.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39640162

For comparison, Stacks-Bowers sold a PCGS AU58 BN example of this variety for $360.00 in August of 2018. Based on what I've seen, I would guess their popularity has seen a little bit of an uptick since. CRO has a NGC MS66 BN for $2,975.00. I'm told Atlas Numismatics sold an AU55 on eBay for $525.00 about six months ago, but don't have a link to that sale.

What does that make this mere XF40 worth? That's up to the bidders to decide.

The TrueView gives a more accurate representation of the color, but here is an alternate set of photos a friend made for me.

Side note: here are the others from the lots I won in a Jean Elsen et ses Fils auction last year. This piece is the one at lower right in this "handful" picture of the other ones I had. I kept the 1686 just above it for my collection. Sold the rest.

Oh, hey- would you rather have a buy-it-now option? Sorry, I'm not doing that for the one above- but I do have a different kind of "skully" token for sale at fixed price. It is the second (silvered) example shown in this thread here. If you want that, it's $60 postpaid. (The first one in that thread is reserved.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

I will bid on that! PM sent!

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really cool!!

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2020 5:47AM

Bidding is now at $350 as of this post. Sale ends at 11:00 PM Eastern US time tonight.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this info on the web just becasue I find these tokens interesting, please correct me if it is inaccurate:

Low Countries; OB: ANNIVERSARIVM; skull & crossed bones RX: ECCLESI LEODI; crossed bones with two flames. St. Lambert Charity token of the Netherlands area (Liege). The thousand year anniversary of when Pepin, King of the Franks, allowed Lambert to return to his Holy See at Maestricht. St. Hubert was sent to Rome on a pilgrimage by St. Lambert (~A.D. 640-705); while there St. Lambert was martyred and Hubert was designated bishop by the Pope. Upon his return St. Hubert built a magnificent church at Liege and had St. Lambert's remains interred there. The diocese seat was moved there and the the city soon grew in size & stature. St. Lambert is the patron of many large churches

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2020 10:59AM

@thebigeng said:
    I found this info on the web just becasue I find these tokens interesting, please correct me if it is inaccurate:

Low Countries; OB: ANNIVERSARIVM; skull & crossed bones RX: ECCLESI LEODI; crossed bones with two flames. St. Lambert Charity token of the Netherlands area (Liege). The thousand year anniversary of when Pepin, King of the Franks, allowed Lambert to return to his Holy See at Maestricht. St. Hubert was sent to Rome on a pilgrimage by St. Lambert (~A.D. 640-705); while there St. Lambert was martyred and Hubert was designated bishop by the Pope. Upon his return St. Hubert built a magnificent church at Liege and had St. Lambert's remains interred there. The diocese seat was moved there and the the city soon grew in size & stature. St. Lambert is the patron of many large churches

I knew most but not all of that.
    Thanks.

Bidding is at $370 as of this post.

Edit: oops, sorry for the <24 hr bump.