Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Anyone Else Collect Ad Notes?

I read once that advertising notes became popular in the years after the Civil War because people were nostalgic for the days of obsolete currency. You can certainly see a similarity of design in the ones I’ve collected. I like that some are a playful, almost satirical take on the more formal look of obsoletes. They also give you an insight into local businesses of the time, selling everything from pickled fish to blue flannel suits to stomach tonic.

Anyone else have some they’d like to post?

Louis Lewisson Readymade Clothing $2, Providence RI, 1850s-60s

I.T. Davis & Co. Ad Note, Providence RI, 1870s-90s
The red "OTN" overprint stands for [O]ne [T]hree [N]ine (the street number of the store).

Dr. Flint's Quaker Bitters $500, Providence RI, 1870s

Ballou, Cram & Markham Ad Note, Providence RI, circa 1877

City Cash Fish Market $5, Pawtucket RI, circa 1890s

My website: RICurrency.com

Comments

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

_Good Stuff 👍Thanks for Sharing _. I need a bottle of that “Blood Purifier “ 😀

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really interesting. Thanks for posting them and I hope we see more.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Well these go along with collecting fractionals :)

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

• cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Wow, they’re all so great Tom! That Utica note with the Morse code! That Merchant Bank of Colorado 5 cent looks like something from a board game, and I like the Mt Pleasant Apothecary Shop with the building on it, plus those three examples with the bust of Columbia are very nice. Great collection!

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2020 5:17PM

@cinch said:
    Wow, they’re all so great Tom! That Utica note with the Morse code! That Merchant Bank of Colorado 5 cent looks like something from a board game, and I like the Mt Pleasant Apothecary Shop with the building on it, plus those three examples with the bust of Columbia are very nice. Great collection!

Wow so true …… great collection & that guy on the Colorado look like he came straight from a monopoly’ game 😀

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of ad notes til now. They look very interesting.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool notes and ads as well I like

• cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Here are a few more of mine:

Perry Davis 1¢, 1854 (from a "medicine" bottle)

Providence Furniture Company $500, 1875

Atwood’s Boots and Shoes

I.T. Davis & Co. $15, 1870s

Narragansett Beer $4, 2006 (this is really a coupon, but I like the look of it and the local connection)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff.

I have a few of the types of notes shown above.

I mainly color foreign notes and I don't need any competition. >:)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 1:46PM

Here are a couple I bought on Ebay that arrived from Greece today. :o

The top one predates zip codes but includes a ball point pen notation, so I am guessing early 1960s.

The bottom one seems just a bit newer based on zip code use.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The business college notes make up quite a collection in themselves. I believe Krause Publications issued a book on them back in the 1990's. They are not really advertising notes but were used for class work at the business colleges in the 19th century.

All glory is fleeting.
  • gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I only have one, but I like it.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.