Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

FIVE DOLLAR BANK NOTE CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK OF LEHIGHTON

LOCK34LOCK34 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2020 8:53PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Would anyone have any information on five dollar bank note from Citizens National Bank Of Lehighton? Many other banks listed online but do not see any bank notes from this bank. Thanks!

Comments

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Can I assume it is a date-back?

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • LOCK34LOCK34 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Yes.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna assume that's Leighton, Pennsylvania? You know it's really hard for us old timers to crane ourselves to read. Just a thought.
    Leighton is a sleepy little town in Carbon County about 100+ miles from me. I wouldn't count on too many notes showing up from there as it must have been 'One Horse' in the early 1900s. I'll keep a look out for you. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. Found a few photos of five dollar notes from that bank, however none are like the one that I have.

• TestoonTestoon Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

The note says Lehighton, not Leighton.

Bill
    witty quote goes here

👍👍👍
    Mental transposition!!!!

edited September 19, 2020 4:48AM

@Testoon said:

@Testoon said:

Lehighton (/li'hɑitən/) is a borough in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, United States, 77 miles (124 km) north of Philadelphia, and 54 miles (87 km) south of Scranton. In the past, it developed early industries because of water power from the Lehigh River. With the location of a repair facility here and its regional operations, the Lehigh Valley Railroad became for years a major employer of thousands of people from the area. Post-World War IIrailroad and industry restructuring led to jo…

Oops, my mistake. Sorry.

The Citizens National Bank Of Lehighton. The Citizens National Bank Of Lehighton in Pennsylvania printed $2,226,290 dollars worth of national currency. Over $1,000,000 face value is a lot of money. However, some types and denominations of currency from this bank could still be rare. This national bank opened in 1902 and stopped printing money in 1935, which equals a 34 year printing period.

Thank you!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see an old note now and then

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Good to see an old note now and then

Yes sir it sure does.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

When coal was king, Carbon county was a busy area. I grew up in Nesquehoning. Nice note. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Here's some T&P info.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice find regardless of value. The value of National Bank Notes is determined by rarity of both the note itself and by the rarity of collectors that are interested in it that have money.

All glory is fleeting.