Home Autographs Forum

autographed book collection

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

been collecting signed books from 2nd hands shops for almost 3 years now . none are for sale but i just find it interesting to see what i can pick up on each visit .. the most expensive was the old timers book/booklet ..the numbers are how many of each are in my collection.

1. Frank Mahovlich x 3
  2. Lincoln Alexander x3
  3. Hurricane Carter
  4. Don Cherry x 3
  5. Ron Maclean
  6. Dirk Hayhurst
  7. Heroes in our midst - 38 autographs x 2
  8. Ken Dryden x 2
  9. Paul Henderson x 3
  10. Wren Blair
  11. Brian Mulroney x 3
  12. Johnny Bower x 2
  13. Frank Sinatra
  14. Ed Shack x 3
  15. Gordie Howe x 4
  16. Jean Chretien
  17. George Bush
  18. Mike Mullane
  19. Roberta Bondar
  20. Jean Beliveau x2
  21. Frank Cosentino x 2
  22. Dennis Hull
  23. Ernie Whitt
  24. Bobby Baun x 2
  25. Dave Dravecky
  26. Chris Chelios
  27. Fergie Jenkins
  28. Scott Morrison
  29. Brian Burke
  30. John Glenn
  31. Gerald Ford
  32. Darryl Sittler
  33. Davis Suzuki x 2
  34. Justin Trudeau
  35. Kurt Browning
  36. Team Canada 2012
  37. Robert Coon ( alcatraz Inmate ) x 2
  38. Thanh Campbell ( Orphan 32 )
  39. Hideko Snyder ( Hiroshima Survivor )
  40. Chris Hadfield x 4
  41. John Taylor - Duran Duran
  42. Marcel Dionne x 2
  43. Terry Martin
  44. Dick Redmond
  45. Pat Willams - Orlando Magic VP
  46. baseball old timers game booklet/book - 57 autographs

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding!

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 6:28PM

thanks .. i missed 3 books from the collection list . ill keep list updated as i get more.

1. Ron Ellis
    2. Shane Corson
    3. Pinball Clemons

and a photo of the most of the collection.. a few books were too tall for the shelf . ill load a better pic soon

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

Lets see the presidents books.

ok . i should have em loaded in tonight.. just got home from the hospital

there we go . George Bush and Gerald Ford

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

George W. Bush must have been in a big hurry! :)

All glory is fleeting.

maybe he was running out of ink and wished to write before it went dry ..

Great scores.

Be on the lookout for Jimmy Carter books - he did lots of book signings over the years.

The GWB is on a bookplate that his office sent to anyone who sent a return envelope. I got in on that during the few months that deal was going on.

What book is the Ford in?

i check everytime i go to my fav 2nd hand shops but no luck yet.. the ford is his biography

He sold those for $50 in his later years (I got one) but of course someone could also have sent him one to sign. Either way, someone had to work for it, so I'm glad it ended up where it did.

thanks.. they give me something to enjoy when am not well and can take my mind off it

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Any tips on finding signed books? Whenever I go in a thrift store it’s just a extreme massive amount of books and I don’t even know where to start looking. Do you just check every single autobiography? Or is there a strategy to it

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

i usually spend an hour in the store just going through the sports books and autobiography section alone before checking the rest of the store.. I start with the hard covers and work down into the paper backs .. start with the more well known names then work towards the lesser ones.. the books i find are usually signed just inside the cover or title page. sometimes i end up going through every biography in the shelf before i find a signed one and sometimes i hit find quite a few .. best was walking out of the store with 6 signed books in one day . just need to keep checking every week . here they restock every thursday so i hit as the stock is coming from out back so i can go through the cart first before anyone else can .

edited September 4, 2020 8:22AM

oh ive added a couple since . they arnt books though..

1. Signed Don Cherry VHS
    2. Signed Paul Henderson DVD
    3. Signed John McDermott Tape

havent been well so not been able to get out much in the last few weeks .

updated shelf pic

@Ahmanfan said:
    Any tips on finding signed books? Whenever I go in a thrift store it’s just a extreme massive amount of books and I don’t even know where to start looking. Do you just check every single autobiography? Or is there a strategy to it

@slimies has a proven method so I'd listen to him.

As I think about my own signed books, there are certain types of books that are better candidates for being signed than others.

While I do have some fiction authors (Stephen King, etc.) most are politicians, celebrities, etc. So, autobiographies are a good possibility, as are books of any kind written by celebrities (other than famous authors).

Also, some people are/were known for doing lots of book signings. President Jimmy Carter is one, so if you see a book by him then definitely crack it open and check the first few pages.

Hardcovers are far more likely to be signed than paperbacks, unless it is a book that was only issued in softcover.

And if you are really interested in signed books then feel free to send some of your own (perhaps bought at the thrift stores) to get signed. Just be sure that they are willing signers before you incur the shipping costs, though.

By the way, I have seen some signed books at BJ's Wholesale Club lately - books by various celebrities who have pre-signed books to be sold there.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't assume that all of the autographs are real. About 15 years ago I bought a copy of Andrew Loomis book on figure drawing (this is a very well know book in the field). The book contained an autograph of Andrew Loomis. Fortunately, I knew quite a bit about Loomis and knew he had died in 1959 after undergoing what was supposed to be a minor operation. The book with the signature was a 1963 reprinting.

All glory is fleeting.

waiting on about 11 books but so far all my signed books have been authenticated as real . i think i found my first auto book back in 1994 and been collecting signed books since . i use web authenticator sites for help before i buy any signed books.. hence why i spent hours at the 2nd hand stores to look em up . any that seem off I pass on .

just picked up a new book signed but also been personalized

Jim Quillen - Alcatraz Inmate

got a new autograph tonight

Dave Williams - Astronaut , aquanaut , jet pilot , ER Doctor , Scientist

thought I'd starting loading in pics of the autographs in the books.. will take a few days to get them all in but here's the first batch.

the 2nd batch of book auto's .. sorry about the slight fuzziness on some of them ..

here's the third batch .. the sunny day book is signed by the hiroshima survivor

Good stuff.

As for the John Glenn a few posts above, he rarely signed without an inscription in his later years so that's an especially nice one to someone who wants just a signature.

thanks. I payed $6 for that one at goodwill .

Sorry been a little slow loading the next batch of books

Some real finds there...

edited October 3, 2020 3:48PM

Grabbed this one up today , was a vietnam pow , Hanoi March.
    Am unsure the 2nd name

Purchased my last book for a while from my fav 2nd hand store due to lack of funds ..... the book is signed by Margaret Trudeau .. am unsure when I shall be able to go back to look for more ..

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

Book about the 1983 World Champion Baltimore Orioles:

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    edited March 3, 2021 4:58PM

Wow!

IF they are real (and I am not certain they are) that would be one heck of a trophy.

(I don't particularly like the Eddue Murray or even the Cal Ripken, Jr., and I see some letter formations that seem to be common to a number of the signatures.)

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Wow!

IF they ate real (and I am not certain they are) that would be one heck of a trophy.

(I don't particularly like the Eddue Murray or even the Cal Ripken, Jr., and I see some letter formations that seem to be common to a number of the signatures.)

all signatures were obtained in person over the past 15 years or so

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

In that case, outstanding!