Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first Hard Times token, have I correctly identified it?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

I picked this up at the show yesterday. I believe it is an L-97. Did I get that right?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Russ, that's a great-looking token! I don't know anything about tokens, but I'm interested in learning; I've just posted 3 threads on the topic. If you're branching out into tokens, it will give the rest of us a real Hard Time!!! Can't you just be happy with all the JFKs??!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Link-a-doodle

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    Nice looking coin Russ,

I don't know how to identify them, but I myself love them and enjoy buying them between major coin purchases. There is a heck of a lot of history in these tokens and they are fun to buy. Really cheap I may add also.

Jay
  • Options
    Very nice Russ, I have a couple with Andrew Jackson on them.

Brian.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

Looks like you got it right. My Rulau book on Tokens shows it as HT-293 which cross references to L-93. What distinguishes the HT-293 form the 291 or 292 is that there is no line under "cent" on the reverse of yours. The reference also has a few paragraphs of history about building located on the obverse.

If you're going to get into tokens, this is good book to have.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    Veep,

I have the book, that's where I looked it up.image It's still confusing me, though. But, that should get better with more reading.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

I'm glad to see that you have the book. I'm still just learning about tokens too. Its fun to be a numismatist again and collect tokens for the fun of it and for a lot less money than I spend on my Want List items.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a site with a bunch of images. I don't know the source and can't guarantee he's got them catalogued all correctly, but if it is accurate, it looks to be a valuable resource.

Here's the link.
  • Options
    Nap,

That site rocks! Thanks!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, Nap, and welcome to the boards!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Yes , Nice link.I liked the type set gallery too.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Uh Oh Russ looks like you hve been bitten by the token bug from which there is no recovery. image
    We really do need a Token forum here.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!

If Russ can be bitten, then how can we lesser mortals not be afflicted?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    The way I figure it, these are very cool pieces of history that don't cost an arm and a leg.image The one I posted above was only $19.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file