Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Columbian Exposition Tickets

Do these have any real collectability or is it dependant on grade?

Comments

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't tell you but IMHO 1893 - they must have some desire to collect. Just out of curiosity I would send them to a TPG and see what comes up. Just a suggestion but thanks for showing them off to us.

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure on the collectibility of them. …… but they sure are nice to see 👍
    They are Beautiful examples, Thanks for Sharing.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are certainly collectible but don't really fall into a major collectible category. They are a crossover item that could potentially appeal to collectors of Exposition items, tickets, engraved paper or famous people's portraits, or?

Condition is NOT a big issues on these as most surviving examples were not used as tickets but purchased and saved as souvenirs.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

High graded notes sell around $150 from HA archives...Ebay ungraded between $35-$50...those pictured are high quality grades...might be worth finding an economy special PMG or PCGS and get them graded

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they’re cool, love the colors and images.

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Yes, there is definitely a collector market for these tickets. These were part of a set of six and you are missing the semi-key Ben Franklin and the key Handel tickets. But these have all been steadily increasing in price over the years. Yours look to be in excellent shape.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's some neat stuff I like

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Just fyi, American Bank Note reprinted the faces of these tickets on a series of souvenir cards 100 years later for the World Columbian Stamp Expo '92. Their SCCS catalog numbers are SO-91 to 96; you can view them here: souvenircards.org/gallery/SO/SO.html
    And I'll post an example. This set of cards is actually scarcer than the actual tickets.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended the World Columbian Stamp Expo '92 in Chicago and bought one of the souvenir cards they had made up for the show. I don't recall ever seeing the Columbian Expo souvenir cards while I was there.

It is easy to believe the souvenir cards are scarcer than the original tickets since the original tickets are not hard to find. I used to have a complete set.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the 4 common ones in high grade (ungraded). Sold to a dealer for $90.00

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".