Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Four Original Rolls of '83-D Dimes. (update in first post)

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2020 5:55PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

From four different sources.

What are the odds I'll find a Gem?
FB?
OMM?
Unreported variety?

I'm guessing about 1: 3.

Of course if there's one, they'll be several.

edited to add;
No FB, nor RPM's, and no true Gems.

I'm still very pleased with them though since the were only about 25 tarnished, lackluster, or carbon spotted coins. Most of the coins were solid chBU with very little marking. There are 11 clean coins and of these I believe a couple might be worth the $65 fee to get graded at PCGS.

There are numerous coins that look a little like a "D" over tilted "D". Maybe I'll try sending one to an expert but the odds are very much against it since every die pair has probably been looked at pretty closely by now.

Tempus fugit.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on your treasure hunt.

Keep us updated on your finds.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Good luck on your treasure hunt.

Keep us updated on your finds.

I'll probably open them tonight.

One roll looks promising with a near FB on the end.

Tempus fugit.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

65:1 :)
    Good luck!

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of at least 3 maybe more dime collectors that will pay moon money for a 1983-D/D. Please find 1. We’ve been looking for this dime for years...

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    I know of at least 3 maybe more dime collectors that will pay moon money for a 1983-D/D. Please find 1. We’ve been looking for this dime for years...

Is it still unknown in Unc?

There's a decent chance of finding it in four rolls which will represent about 25 die pair.

In my experience Gems are tough for this date. I've looked at a lot of coins and have found only a few.

Tempus fugit.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@Stooge said:

There's a decent chance of finding it in four rolls which will represent about 25 die pair.

In my experience Gems are tough for this date. I've looked at a lot of coins and have found only a few.

Get one in an FS holder in any grade at this point and I have several buyers for you. No one has been able to locate a single specimen to date.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@cladking said:

@Stooge said:

Get one in an FS holder in any grade at this point and I have several buyers for you. No one has been able to locate a single specimen to date.

I have already checked the two rolls that I had the lowest expectations for. They are both pleasant surprises. From one there are four real nice clean coins that aren't too bad of strikes. They should go 65. From the other roll was an even cleaner coin but a weak strike from worn dies. There are also two coins from the first roll for which I can't rule out the OMM. They probably are not but I have no picture so they'll need further study.

If the next two rolls are half as good then I'll be happy and they look far better by the end coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Buyer for a 65FB right here possibly.....

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@Stooge said:

how do you come up with 25 die pair in 4 rolls?

@davewesen said:

@cladking said:

@Stooge said:

how do you come up with 25 die pair in 4 rolls?

Usually you'll have about 5 to 8 die pair per roll though this bunch had fewer. In fact it had a lot fewer since two rolls despite looking different were obviously from the same bag.

Tempus fugit.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't the mint have a couple presses dumping coins into A 4X4 tote that get sold to armor car companies for rolling and distribution to banks?

and what if all 4 of your rolls came from the same tote?

anyway good luck with your search, especially since there are not millions of mint sets that year to look through.

@davewesen said:
    doesn't the mint have a couple presses dumping coins into A 4X4 tote that get sold to armor car companies for rolling and distribution to banks?

and what if all 4 of your rolls came from the same tote?

Truth to tell these particular rolls each looked something like you describe.

For many years the coins have been dumped on conveyor belts that feed the counters (weighers now).

I didn't look too much for die markers since there wasn't much interesting but it appears two rolls were from the same source (either the same bag or nearly consecutive bags) and the other two were distinct but similar to these.

I thought the conveyor was fed by quad presses but perhaps it really was totes.

Tempus fugit.