Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Finished 1983 Topps Baseball - All 792 PSA 10s

Long time lurker.

After roughly four years, I completed the entire 1983 topps baseball set in psa 10.

I believe Hatch Graham was the first to ever complete a full topps baseball set in psa 10 for any year (1978 topps - which is insane btw!). I don’t see that anyone besides him has complete an all psa 10 full-sized topps baseball set - so this might be the second.

Not sure what to do now lol - I’ve been so focused on the set for so long. I started a 56 topps psa 8.5 and 9 set that will probably take the rest of my life lol.

Comments

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the set completion!

What were some of the difficult cards to acquire for this set? There are enough Boggs, Gwynn, and Sandberg PSA 10s to go around, so I assume some common cards might have been tough.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I am surprised it only took you 4 years to complete. That is impressive.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Impressive! Nice job.

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Super impressive! Like someone above mentioned, what were the last handful of cards you needed to track down?

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

That is truly an accomplishment!

------
    stupid print dots

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Very impressed, and in just 4 years. as mentioned above, there are enough of the star cards, but some of the obscure commons must have been tough. where did you wind up getting most of them?

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 9:35AM

that's crazy.. in PSA 10 no less.
    Love the 83 T set..

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

what would the set be valued? the grading cost alone is at least $8K i would imagine.

• JustinCJustinC Posts: 53 ✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    what would the set be valued? the grading cost alone is at least $8K i would imagine.

hard to say. I know some incomplete but close 83t psa 10 sets have been bought and sold in the 30k range. if I had to guess, id think I could get 40k for it completely done, as it is, if I wanted to sell it. but at least for the foreseeable future, it's not going anywhere.

• cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

amazing @JustinC! Congrats, on a truly difficult accomplishment. 4 years is just flat out being driven and looking under every single rock and under every couch cushion....btw, was that you looking through junk yard bicycle's for some 83T remaining in the spokes?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great accomplishment.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Nice job!

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Wow. Tough to do on any 80’s set...Congrats.

@cougar701 said:
    amazing @JustinC! Congrats, on a truly difficult accomplishment. 4 years is just flat out being driven and looking under every single rock and under every couch cushion....btw, was that you looking through junk yard bicycle's for some 83T remaining in the spokes?

lol, that WAS me. in fact, anyone who has any substantial amount of PSA 10 83Ts has almost certainly been badgered by me in the past year or so. I think many people were happier than I was to finish it off because now I've stopped bothering them to sell to me.

@JustinC What about the 1983 Topps Traded? Do you consider that a part of the set or what is the current thinking on the traded cohorts?

I don't consider it part of the set, but I am working on it. I think I have like ~30 PSA 10s from the set and I have ~60 nice cards with PSA getting dusty and waiting to be graded. once those are back to me I'll pick up the pace on whatever remains that I need. there is a single pop 0 in the traded, so I'll have to go with a 9 on that one likely.

Ah, nice!

I have a BBCE wrapped 83 Topps Traded set on ebay right now, and would cut you a better deal on it if you wanted to crack it open.

PM me if interested, but either way, best of luck on the traded completion!

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Wow! Major accomplishment. Time for some 81s next. :)

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

@ldferg said:
    Wow! Major accomplishment. Time for some 81s next. :)

I think so but folks in the 81T thread put the fear of god in me with the low pops!

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Wow, that is an amazing quest to complete.

I agree that this is one of the best designed Topps sets of all-time.

I have the All-Star sub set in PSA 9 with maybe a few PSA 10s, and have some SGC HOF cards in SGC 96 & 98.

Just a great, great set. Congratulations!

LMK if you have any raw cards for sale that are Mint looking, as I also have this set raw in a binder.

Best,

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • @estang said:
    Wow, that is an amazing quest to complete.

I agree that this is one of the best designed Topps sets of all-time.

I have the All-Star sub set in PSA 9 with maybe a few PSA 10s, and have some SGC HOF cards in SGC 96 & 98.

Just a great, great set. Congratulations!

LMK if you have any raw cards for sale that are Mint looking, as I also have this set raw in a binder.

Best,

Thanks sir! In the All-Star subset, the Rickey Henderson psa 10 is a mega tough card - pop 8. I have like 25k raw cards but they're all put away in storage now. if I ever endeavor to get them out I'll let ya know!

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Justin! I collect 81’s myself (raw for now) and I bet I have over 5000 pack fresh 81’s, and I I’ve pulled out less than 50 that I would think have a shot at 10. I just sent 2 81’s in for grading; I did express just to get them back quicker - 201 (bench record breaker) and 638 (checklist). Not low pops by comparison, but curious to see how they’re graded. Best of luck to you!

• since I'm just starting out with 81s, I haven't submitted any. the unopened prices are going crazy so that's discouraging. but I've read in this thread that trying to get 10s from unopened is incredibly tough in 81s. good luck to you, as well!

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Justin , congratulations on reaching the top of this very tall mountain . This is the favorite Topps set of many a collector and to get a Perfect PSA 10 set takes a bit of luck , a lot of searching and a bit of means .

Best wishes on your future collecting and I hope our paths cross once again . --- Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • @calaban7 said:
    Justin , congratulations on reaching the top of this very tall mountain . This is the favorite Topps set of many a collector and to get a Perfect PSA 10 set takes a bit of luck , a lot of searching and a bit of means .

Best wishes on your future collecting and I hope our paths cross once again . --- Sonny

SONNY!!!!

Man, connecting with you made it ALL possible. Thanks for the deal on those 39 (which brought me down to the final two cards)!

Btw, I paid express fees to PSA to have that Randy Johnson with the cracked case reholdered and was suuuuper nervous that it would come back a 9 or worse because the crack in the case was pretty bad - but it came back a PSA 10. Huge sigh of relief there for me. Hope you're staying safe back east and thanks for everything sir!

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

My friend....you are insane. Congrats 792 PSA 10's. OMG.

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

great job

• @Mickey71 said:
    My friend....you are insane. Congrats 792 PSA 10's. OMG.

hahah, thanks! you want to see some real sickness, look up some of the registry legends. there are some real crazy bastards out there with issues. look at this dude: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/131313/othersets/49329 - it's absolutely mind-blowing. he had like probably a few million $ in sets listed in the registry.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big time congrats on a very impressive accomplishment!!
    WELL DONE!!!

• @MCMLVTopps said:
    Big time congrats on a very impressive accomplishment!!
    WELL DONE!!!

thank you, kindly, sir!

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a few pics of your set? I’d love to see some of your beauties!

@Rofles said:
    Do you have a few pics of your set? I’d love to see some of your beauties!

I dont have anything scanned right now. I do have ambitions to scan ALL the cards and backs and attach them to the registry set, but that is nearly 1600 scans and if you understood my level of lazy when it comes to stuff like that you understand that it's likely that project is ever started, much less completed. but I'll take some pics of some of the more fun cards in the set sometime and post em!

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an incredible accomplishment and I would like to congratulate you on your achievement

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

@rexvos said:
    This is an incredible accomplishment and I would like to congratulate you on your achievement

Thank you kindly - love the 83 T set! I'm knee-deep in an 81 Topps PSA 10 set now - too far to turn around!

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

Thank you kindly - love the 83 T set! I'm knee-deep in an 81 Topps PSA 10 set now - too far to turn around!

That one is pretty impossible. If you get a castoff PSA 9 George Brett or Dale Murphy let me know. I have several 1981s in grading. If I get 1 10 I will be shocked.

@rexvos said:

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

That one is pretty impossible. If you get a castoff PSA 9 George Brett or Dale Murphy let me know. I have several 1981s in grading. If I get 1 10 I will be shocked.

yea, it's actually completely impossible (to get all 10s) with 10 cards that are Pop 0 (including the Fernando rookie) - that said, I want to get a set done as nice as possible, which will necessarily include several 9s. I'll keep my eye open for a Brett or Murphy 9 for you!

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

yea, it's actually completely impossible (to get all 10s) with 10 cards that are Pop 0 (including the Fernando rookie) - that said, I want to get a set done as nice as possible, which will necessarily include several 9s. I'll keep my eye open for a Brett or Murphy 9 for you!

Full disclosure I did submit the nicest 1981 Topps traded Valenzuela I have ever seen in an 80s mania sub a few months back, I know the chance of a 10 is a long shot but one can hold out hope

@rexvos said:

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

@JustinC said:

@rexvos said:

Full disclosure I did submit the nicest 1981 Topps traded Valenzuela I have ever seen in an 80s mania sub a few months back, I know the chance of a 10 is a long shot but one can hold out hope

Ohhh, good luck! I think that's a pop 20 out of a zillion - one just sold for $1075 on ebay I believe. I'm trying to do the traded set so eventually I'm going to have to pony up for one. Good luck!

• Just hopped into to say congratulations!

1981 Topps in Process
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning! I'll never forget finishing my 1978 Topps set in PSA 9. That was tough enough by I can't even fathom a full PSA 10 set! Congrats!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

edited October 9, 2020 9:19AM

@softparade said:
    Stunning! I'll never forget finishing my 1978 Topps set in PSA 9. That was tough enough by I can't even fathom a full PSA 10 set! Congrats!

I LOVE the 78 topps set. Hatch completing 78T in all PSA 10 is unbelievable. PSA 9s is also super amazing. beautiful set!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin, Insane set! You sir get a huge tip of the hat. Congratulations!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces - lol, thanks so much sir! I see your pop's name was James Brennan - my 5 year old son is named Brennan (same spelling)!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JustinC said:
    @2dueces - lol, thanks so much sir! I see your pop's name was James Brennan - my 5 year old son is named Brennan (same spelling)!

Brennan became a popular first name. Of course I am a Brennan and my brother was a JR.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

I own one 1983 PSA 10, so I'm hot on your trail. :*

Fantastic accomplishment. Well done!!

• @JustinC said:

@coinspacks said:

hard to say. I know some incomplete but close 83t psa 10 sets have been bought and sold in the 30k range. if I had to guess, id think I could get 40k for it completely done, as it is, if I wanted to sell it. but at least for the foreseeable future, it's not going anywhere.

Congrats! Awesome accomplishment. I suppose the other side of the valuation is... how much $ did you need to invest to complete the set?

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

congrats on completion. trying to build an 84 Donruss PSA 10....about 75% there.

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Congrats....seeing a set of year award for you next year!!!

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's