Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Leaf Mcgwire..

last couple of 10's have sold for over $1,000, but the 9's are selling for $30. I have never seen such a disparity in price. Typically if a card sales for $1,000 in a 10, then the 9 would be $100 - $150. Any thoughts?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think with the 80s explosion this will become common. Tons of cards will be graded in hopes of 10s causing more supply of 9s than there is demand.

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

A 1989 FLEER STICKER EWING IS $10 IN A PSA 9 AND $1100 IN A PSA 10

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't take a brush and paint the entire hobby with it. The '87 Leaf set, in general, is very condition sensitive and the McGwire is one of the tougher 10s in the set. Most cards have a reasonable 10 strike rate and a consistent, lengthy market history. None of that applies to the McGwire. It's extremely difficult to get a 10 on, production is much, much fewer than mainstream '87 issues, and six months ago you could probably get one for under $200. You have to see the whole board.

Arthur

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    You can't take a brush and paint the entire hobby with it. The '87 Leaf set, in general, is very condition sensitive and the McGwire is one of the tougher 10s in the set. Most cards have a reasonable 10 strike rate and a consistent, lengthy market history. None of that applies to the McGwire. It's extremely difficult to get a 10 on, production is much, much fewer than mainstream '87 issues, and six months ago you could probably get one for under $200. You have to see the whole board.

Arthur

Arthur,

In your experience, is it worth it to rip boxes of 1987 Leaf looking for a reasonable expectation of finding 10's? Or are the chances relatively low enough that you'd just keep the boxes sealed?

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Arthur,

In your experience, is it worth it to rip boxes of 1987 Leaf looking for a reasonable expectation of finding 10's? Or are the chances relatively low enough that you'd just keep the boxes sealed?

That's a hell of a question. On one hand, clean boxes of '87 Leaf have really dried up. I mean, they were tough to come by even before all this madness started. I would usually just wait for BBCE to get them and that would be maybe once a year and you had to pounce on the few they had. So, before we even talk about odds of pulling good cards we should really think about what these boxes are worth right now and where they're probably headed. I don't see how an '87 Leaf box would sell for less than an '86 Leaf box. So, BBCE FASC are probably $300+ right now. They're harder to find than their O-Pee-Chee counterpart.

Now, as for pulling the cards, I'm probably not a good source for that only because I've gotten phenomenally lucky in my rips. I've pack-pulled and self-subbed 10s on McGwire, Bo, and Maddux and got a beautifully centered Bonds that just has the tiniest of touches on one corner. Granted, I've been ripping the stuff for the better part of this decade but it was still very hard to find the stuff and I beat the odds by huge margins. Most of the time I couldn't even find a box, I would just by the 12 loose packs BBCE would have and just wipe them out of their loose packs over and over and over.

If you're looking at it from an investment point of view, I'm keeping the boxes sealed. I was only ripping because they were <$100. If I came across some now, I'd keep them sealed and let them appreciate. I mean, the Maddux and Bo are still reasonably priced, it's just the McGwire and Bonds that have tickled $1k.

But you have to look at the cards' strike rates and ask yourself how lucky you feel.

Arthur

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 11:09AM

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Arthur,

@ReggieCleveland said:

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Arthur,

That's a hell of a question. On one hand, clean boxes of '87 Leaf have really dried up. I mean, they were tough to come by even before all this madness started. I would usually just wait for BBCE to get them and that would be maybe once a year and you had to pounce on the few they had. So, before we even talk about odds of pulling good cards we should really think about what these boxes are worth right now and where they're probably headed. I don't see how an '87 Leaf box would sell for less than an '86 Leaf box. So, BBCE FASC are probably $300+ right now. They're harder to find than their O-Pee-Chee counterpart.

Now, as for pulling the cards, I'm probably not a good source for that only because I've gotten phenomenally lucky in my rips. I've pack-pulled and self-subbed 10s on McGwire, Bo, and Maddux and got a beautifully centered Bonds that just has the tiniest of touches on one corner. Granted, I've been ripping the stuff for the better part of this decade but it was still very hard to find the stuff and I beat the odds by huge margins. Most of the time I couldn't even find a box, I would just by the 12 loose packs BBCE would have and just wipe them out of their loose packs over and over and over.

If you're looking at it from an investment point of view, I'm keeping the boxes sealed. I was only ripping because they were <$100. If I came across some now, I'd keep them sealed and let them appreciate. I mean, the Maddux and Bo are still reasonably priced, it's just the McGwire and Bonds that have tickled $1k.

But you have to look at the cards' strike rates and ask yourself how lucky you feel.

Arthur

I've got a few of each of the 1986 and 1987 Leaf boxes in my unopened stash, that I picked up back when they were relatively inexpensive, probably in the $40 to $50 range. The 1986's don't interest me as much due to the lack of some of the cards that were in Donruss but not in Leaf, though if McGriff makes it into the Hall, it may very well be the difference maker. On the other hand, most of the good 1987's are in both Donruss and Leaf, so the cards being pulled are more enticing in 1987 packs. I may end up picking a random box of 1987 from the stack and cracking it to find out the condition, especially centering, of the contents.

I've had bad rip luck though with the condition of the cards in the packs on OPC. I opened a 1986 OPC box and a 1991 OPC box not too long ago, and those would have been much better off having been left sealed, with almost nothing worth actually sending in for grading. That soured me a bit on ripping more Canadian '80's packs, though OPC and Leaf are certainly different from each other.