Home Precious Metals
Options

Why invest? If gold rises along with prices, and the dollar depreciates...

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2020 7:20PM in Precious Metals

What does it matter?

Just asking. If the dollar depreciates, and the price of gold rises; how does one get a better value for gold as an investment when it's pegged to a depreciated dollar? As the dollar tanks, gold soars, where is the advantage in this mess? Along with rising prices of goods?

Why invest in metals? Not trying to be critical; just curious.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

prices of goods have not inflated much... yet.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    prices of goods have not inflated much... yet.

It's spotty, yet happening....

"The overall cost of most types of meat, poultry, fish and eggs has increased by 4.3%, the largest increase of any single grocery category. Various cuts of beef saw a 3.7% increase, while pork prices went up by 3% and poultry prices rose 4.7%."

"In some areas of the country, the increases were larger — the price of ground beef in the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas increased by 14.5%, the price of chicken breast in Los Angeles skyrocketed by more than 26% and the price of orange juice is up 14.6%, according to Nielsen data exclusively obtained by NBC News."

source:
    https://www.today.com/food/why-are-grocery-prices-rising-t181700

I see ground beef at close to $7 a pound where I live in NW Ohio.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 7:41PM

A friend likes hoarding five dollar bills. He said he has a over a thousand saved. He said it's easy to not miss a five. Then I mentioned to him about how five years ago he could have turned it into 350 ounces of silver and that it would be worth nearer ten thousand today; and he could trade them in for that many five dollar bills if he really likes them, that much. He finally sees.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 7:45PM

Its function is not to provide a better value for gold but to provide a better value for the dollars that it can be converted back into.

While profits exceeding inflation are possible, gold's true role is in its "store of value." It offers protection (insurance) from the declining value of the currency it is priced in. It is a place to store dollars to facilitate those dollars keeping their purchasing power until it is time to spend those dollars.

There are much better investments than metals except in times, such as now, of an often short lived bull run. Gold is currently telling me that there is a greater expectation of declining purchasing power (inflation) in the dollar. A lot of this fear is in the realization that the current, massive increase in the money supply will, as usual, result in price inflation. Such has been the case for the last decade with most of that price inflation directed to equity markets. Appears PMs are sharing some of that benefit with FED Round Two likely because future consumer price inflation is on the stove.

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options

ok.

prices haven't risen due to the MMT, but due to supply problems from the virus issues.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

yes. the idea is store of value.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 7:51PM

Lets not call it MMT. Let's call it what is has always been known as, money creation. MMT is just a new, sexy name for it that attempts to make it more palatable. No different than calling isolation "social distancing."

MsM which prices are you referring to?

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 8:11PM

@derryb said:
    Its function is not to provide a better value for gold but to provide a better value for the dollars that it can be converted back into.

While profits exceeding inflation are possible, gold's true role is in its "store of value." It offers protection (insurance) from the declining value of the currency it is priced in. It is a place to store dollars to facilitate those dollars keeping their purchasing power until it is time to spend those dollars.

There are much better investments than metals except in times, such as now, of an often short lived bull run. Gold is currently telling me that there is a greater expectation of declining purchasing power (inflation) in the dollar. A lot of this fear is in the realization that the current, massive increase in the money supply will, as usual, result in price inflation. Such has been the case for the last decade with most of that price inflation directed to equity markets. Appears PMs are sharing some of that benefit with FED Round Two likely because future consumer price inflation is on the stove.

I understand, and respect what you are saying @derryb, my concern is if those metals are priced against a dollar that is continuing in a decline from a monetary policy that is now used to mitigate, and support markets...along with a fiscal policy that is spending monies to sustain corona...the only hope is that other countries are doing the same? Is that how the dollar survives this mess?

It seems that we follow what others do in this dance...whether it be with monetary/fiscal policy, or, with measures to mitigate contagion. If anything...I'm getting the impression we are going along.

I have no clue what this may portend. I personally am not as brave as others who have a feel where any of this is going?

I honestly think we have lost measures to gauge investments...let alone livelihoods for the next year...maybe longer?

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    the only hope is that other countries are doing the same? Is that how the dollar survives this mess?

It seems that we follow what others do in this dance...whether it be with monetary/fiscal policy, or, with measures to mitigate contagion. If anything...I'm getting the impression we are going along.

Actually the US central bank takes the lead in world wide monetary policy. It taught other central banks how to mismanage their economies.

• Options

@derryb said:
    MsM which prices are you referring to?

the above referenced food prices.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt vast infusions of money into the economy have saved people from Depressive-era desperation, the long-term be hanged. The problem is that we squandered the respite, and still have no machinery to limit the impact of the pandemic in this country, such that the only recourse is to generate yet additional vast infusions, and to continue to do so until a vaccine arrives that 1) works, and 2) is taken by more than 70% of the people.

• Options

and we are making and going to take these vaccines in a shorter time frame that what normally would take. the extra time that is saved? the long-term evaluation of safety as well as long-term immune response study.

the safety part is a big hmmmmmmm.....

convalescence plasma is a huge help if people would donate and keep donating their plasma.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020 2:12AM

@derryb said:

@PocketArt said:
    the only hope is that other countries are doing the same? Is that how the dollar survives this mess?

Actually the US central bank takes the lead in world wide monetary policy. It taught other central banks how to mismanage their economies.

Well, it looks like our misdeeds are coming to roost to some degree. I guess I'd be nervous holding a lot of PM's if runnaway inflation came about.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020 6:05AM

...then the buying power of the dollar is way down, but the number of dollars you get for gold is way up. supposed net 0.00

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is, and always will be, money.....and will represent more of the fiat currency as fiat falls... bank accounts do not do that... though they do accumulate a token bit of interest. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh. I've never heard this question before. :D:D:D

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Gosh. I've never heard this question before. :D:D:D

LoL, no, 1st time 😉

And my answer is always about diversification. I own gold, silver, and platinum bullion for the same reasons as I have some (but not only) stocks, rental real estate, rare coins, art & antiquities, and plain ole cash.

I also own precious metals for different reasons than those other things.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

...then the buying power of the dollar is way down, but the number of dollars you get for gold is way up. supposed net 0.00

Depends where you are in net worth brackets where people should be applying different risk/reward levels. Gold adds a stabilizing force which people may or may not need. A theoretical broke college student should stay away from gold and look more towards speculative plays. By contrast, some 1% with like a 100M portfolio should have some broad diversification that includes gold. Investments can't be looked at as just +/- Sadly most people are chained down by debt.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is a poor investment.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

People tend to look at too many different things ... if you know what I'm saying ... my focus is on the ups and downs of the value of the PM's market not why it's doing what it's doing.

I'm one of 7.8 billion people on this planet.
    I can't change anything.
    Just saying.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2020 10:08AM

@Dave99B said:

Dave

Those who invested in GLD at $138.04 on March 19 and sold it for $185.43 on Friday might disagree with you.

GLD is up 1.74% for the week,
    11.44% for the month,
    16.6% over past 3 months,
    39.71% for the past 12 months,
    and 76.3% for the past 5 years.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    People tend to look at too many different things ... if you know what I'm saying ... my focus is on the ups and downs of the value of the PM's market not why it's doing what it's doing.

Understanding "why" adds to the knowledge base that controls one's decisions. It enables foresight.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 12:11PM

@derryb said:

@Jimnight said:

Understanding "why" adds to the knowledge base that controls one's decisions. It enables foresight.

Obviously you're right ... but I'm in it for the money ... not the understanding of why.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Dave99B said:

Dave

Those who invested in GLD at $138.04 on March 19 and sold it for $185.43 on Friday might disagree with you.

11.44% for the month,

Don't forget about 0% for the past decade. If your going to tell a story tell the full story. Rgds!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude - LOL :D

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2020 1:19PM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@Dave99B said:

Dave

11.44% for the month,

Don't forget about 0% for the past decade. If your going to tell a story tell the full story. Rgds!

There is no "0%" for the past decade. Gold was a $1200 ten years ago, far lower than it is today. Making up numbers to prove a point does not prove the point. LOL

The "full story" goes back to 1971 when the gold standard ended and the US no longer held the price at $35 per ounce.

someone with a calculator please tell us what the percentage increase is from $35 to $1976.

Poor investment? LOL

And the poor guy who held onto his $35 cash since 1971? Not only does he still have only $35 in his pocket, but that $35 will buy substantially less of anything it could buy in 1971.

Best to know the full story before using it to discredit yourself. Rgds!

• Options
    edited August 2, 2020 12:52PM

49 years

(some number)^49 = ( (1976 - 35) / 35)

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

sn = 1.0854 or 8.54% per year

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

• Options

@Jimnight said:

@derryb said:

@Jimnight said:

Obviously you're right ... but I'm in it for the money ... not the understanding of why.

Knowing "why" it is up today enables one to maybe make even more money by holding it longer. The "whys" are the fundamentals. Understanding fundamentals makes for better decisions. Otherwise you are just throwing darts.

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    I guess I'd be nervous holding a lot of PM's if runnaway inflation came about.

gold historically protects from inflation.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    49 years

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

Let's see folks teach their kids that at home this fall.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    49 years

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

Checking your work:

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    =35(1+.0.085402879)^49
    = 1941.00

Your method is a pretty good approximation but this is how I would do it.

fv is future value, pv is present value, i is the interest rate, n is periods.

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    fv/pv=(1+i)^n
    (fv/pv)^(1/n)=1+i
    i=(fv/pv)^(1/n)-1

Check the work:

fv=35(1+.08579882)^49
    =1976.00

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 6:18PM

Gold is cyclical, just like everything else. Step 1 is always identify if anything is either currently in a bear or bull cycle. Gold was clearly bull back in December, pre-Pandemic. Since then...(and it will shift to bear again at some point). Dollar index down -10% last 6 months, Gold index up 25%, SP500 up 1%

• Options
    edited August 3, 2020 3:58PM

@hchcoin said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    49 years

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

Checking your work:

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    =35(1+.0.085402879)^49
    = 1941.00

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    fv/pv=(1+i)^n
    (fv/pv)^(1/n)=1+i
    i=(fv/pv)^(1/n)-1

Check the work:

fv=35(1+.08579882)^49
    =1976.00

ok. here's the deal. mine is wrong.

let's say it is 35 in 1971 and 35 in 2020.

my method is (35 - 35) / 35 = 0

35 future value(some number) is the 49th root of 0.00

that leaves 35 on the left equaling 0.00 on the right. (so i'm wrong)

• Options
    edited August 3, 2020 5:50PM

@Tiggs2012 said:
    Gold is cyclical, just like everything else. Step 1 is always identify if anything is either currently in a bear or bull cycle. Gold was clearly bull back in December, pre-Pandemic. Since then...(and it will shift to bear again at some point). Dollar index down -10% last 6 months, Gold index up 25%, SP500 up 1%

Let's not forget the re-introduction of QE in the final quarter of 2019 (repo market "not QE") that ignited the current gold bull. The massive money supply increase duration, that became amplified in COVID-2020, will be a major factor in the lifespan of gold's current push upward. My gut says that as long as the FED wants to continue it's pillage of the economy (for whose benefit?) there will be a need to wear a mask.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@hchcoin said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    49 years

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

Checking your work:

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    =35(1+.0.085402879)^49
    = 1941.00

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    fv/pv=(1+i)^n
    (fv/pv)^(1/n)=1+i
    i=(fv/pv)^(1/n)-1

Check the work:

fv=35(1+.08579882)^49
    =1976.00

LoL, you're overthinking it

Zero "weirds out" some math.

In this example you can stop at

35=35 therefore growth is zero.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@hchcoin said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    49 years

(sn)^49 = 55.45

sn = 49th root of 55.45

=====================

check the work:

(1.0854) ^ 49 = 55.4499

Checking your work:

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    =35(1+.0.085402879)^49
    = 1941.00

fv=pv(1+i)^n
    fv/pv=(1+i)^n
    (fv/pv)^(1/n)=1+i
    i=(fv/pv)^(1/n)-1

Check the work:

fv=35(1+.08579882)^49
    =1976.00

I actually thought the way you did it was really cool. It's a quick and easy way to get really close. I sat here thinking about it for over an hour after you posted it trying to figure out why your number and mine were slightly different.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Can we get both huge inflation and huge unemployment at the same time. Lots of jobs are not coming back at all and many companies are paying more for less customers. But free money for everyone.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.