Home Autographs Forum

Need help identifying last few autographs on really cool ball...

My dad got this ball from an auction years ago. It’s got 10+ HOFs and several all-star caliber players. Looks like ball is from the 1940s. Has the likes of Joe Dimaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Bob Feller, etc.

Anyway, I can’t figure out three of the autographs. The first autograph at the top of the panel above Al Hollingsworth.

The second autograph I need help with is The one between Al Hollingsworth and Satchel Paige.

Also, in the second picture, can’t figure out the faint autograph underneath the NL President’s autograph stamp. First name looks like Harvey but I can’t figure it out.

Any help is always appreciated....

Thanks,
Craig

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one on the SS under the Giles stamp, could be Harry Gumbert.

Steve

• Wow, I think you are right on Harry Gumbert. Nice!! Thanks Steve!

Now if someone can figure out the other two autographs....
    Thanks,
    Craig

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the Hall of Fame website and see who was in it at the time the ball was signed. If you can read even part of the signature you should be able to narrow it down greatly as to who it is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Might be Burleigh Grimes above Paige.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Yes, I think it’s Burleigh Grimes indeed. I had thought it might be him but never saw an autograph on the internet where he did not spell out his first name. However, I just looked again and I saw one picture where he did use B and R Instead of spelling out Burleigh.

Thanks again, Mr Mopar! Any guesses on the sig at the tip of the panel above Al Hollingsworth? I thought it might be Joe Cronin but doesn’t quite seem to match autographs I’ve seen on the internet.

Thanks,
    Craig

That could be JoJo Moore

• Wow! Mr. Mopar you are a friggin autograph genius. Once again, after comparing the autographs to JoJo Moore’s on the internet, I think you have nailed it.

I am a huge baseball enthusiast and can hang with just about anyone but, I have to admit, I’ve never even heard of JoJo Moore. I would’ve never figured it out in a million years.

You da man, Me. Mopar!! Thank you!

Craig

I am but a mere mortal compared to some. Net54 has some people who are amazing.

I have a few Moore autographs, so that helps. I started collecting all star roster players maybe a decade or more ago, so I became familiar with a lot of players from 1933-Present who were on the all star team at some point. That helps with variety.

I am also a completist Dodger autograph collector, so anyone that played for them at any point, I have probably seen or owned, from at least the late 40s and up.

Sometimes it is just luck though. I even miss some I feel I shouldn't, just because of the frame of reference.