Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What About a Lincoln Wheat Cents/Memorial Cents Registry Set(s) in RB?

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered what you guys and gals think about asking to get a Registry Set created for all of those great Red and Brown Lincolns out there. Since the Red coins are so expensive and impossible, and some of the later-date and earlier-date coins are getting awfully tough in Brown (especially Gem Brown or higher), it occurs to me that a lot of the nice Red and Brown coins that I am slowly replacing with Brown coins might actually make a nice set on their own.

Comments? @LincolnCentMan @BeefCurry808 @robec @bramn8r @david3142 @mach1ne @Easy1984

Please forward to anyone else whom I may have forgotten who has a dog in this hunt.

And I thankee and wish you long days and pleasant nights!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red and Brown Lincolns Matter

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

From the Set Request link on Your Set Registry Dashboard...

SET REQUESTS
    If you are building a set that is not in the Set Registry, you can request that it be added by using the PCGS New Set Request form. Set composites are loaded on a first-come-first-served basis. If approved, most set composites will take between four and six weeks to be added to the Registry, however, some requests may take longer. You will be notified when the composite is online.

Please note: At this time, we are temporarily not adding new U.S. Registry composites, however, we will continue to add World (non-U.S.) Registry composites.

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the colorless sets that include BN, RB, and RD coins at equal value work fine. I generally prefer RB to BN, though.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    I think the colorless sets that include BN, RB, and RD coins at equal value work fine. I generally prefer RB to BN, though.

And yet, you are penalized in a BN set for RB coins. Just sayin'. I have quite a few RB coins that are gorgeous and I certainly prefer their look (and prices) overall to RD coins!

Kind regards,

George

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@david3142 said:

And yet, you are penalized in a BN set for RB coins. Just sayin'. I have quite a few RB coins that are gorgeous and I certainly prefer their look (and prices) overall to RD coins!

Kind regards,

George

You get penalized? That seems silly to me. I thought RB and RD just didn’t earn more points. I use the registry to keep track of my sets but clearly I am not too concerned with the points or rankings. 😆

edited July 30, 2020 6:37AM

I don't pay too much attention to rankings but a lot of people do! There is fierce competition for the desired color classes.

Yep. Well, to be accurate, you get a 3-point bump in grade for BN in the Toned Lincolns Registry Set. You get no bump for RB and get a 3-point deduction for RD. And that goes into the grade "multiplier," i.e. more-difficult issues get a higher factor. In practice, for example, in the Toned Lincolns set, an elusive date like 1914-D in 65BN would get 3 points added for BN and then that 68 is multiplied by a "difficulty factor" of 8 (highest in the set) to yield 544 which is then divided by the number of coins in the set for your GPA. Common coins like a 1916 in 65BN would yield a 68 grade and difficulty factor of 1.

So why not a RB Registry Set where you get more points for RB?

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I buy my lincolns based on the color and eye appeal so I would love to see a rb set that holds the most points. It be another fun set to complete while working on the same set.

I hereby renew my request for a Lincoln, Wheat Cent Registry Set in RB. Should work just like the other-color sets, bonus (or no deduction) for RB, deduction for RB or BN.

Yes Cosetta is a jewel at PCGS!

Talk amongst yourselves ....

Kind regards,

George

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I concur. There's sets that reward RD coins and sets that reward BN coins - it only makes sense to have sets that reward RB coins.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that R&B set as being a good thing. One I would like to also see is a Lincoln Type set. One of each kind of proof and business strike, metal change, design change, you get the idea.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been saying this for years now - I think that PCGS missed the target when they created the Colorless Registry sets and used the bonus system employed for RD-RB-BN designated coins. PCGS gives bonus points for coins designated as BN. That precipitated collectors striving for the BN designation over RB and RD. And, for what?

I don't really care whether a holder has RB or BN on it. What I care about, and what I think most collectors in this space care about, is attractive toning, color, and luster. Chasing the BN Registry is a fabricated red herring. So would be a RB Registry.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

While I don't actually disagree with you -- I too like the same qualities in copper -- it is an existing niche, although the distinctions are artificial and the boundaries certainly blurred. But it's a fact of life now. I am actually working on a set of each -- BN and RB, so I hope PCGS will create the Registry Set for that category as well.

Kind regards,

George

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    While I don't actually disagree with you -- I too like the same qualities in copper -- it is an existing niche, although the distinctions are artificial and the boundaries certainly blurred. But it's a fact of life now. I am actually working on a set of each -- BN and RB, so I hope PCGS will create the Registry Set for that category as well.

Kind regards,

George

Completely understand your point of view. I just won't go there and let the registry set system dictate what I collect.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Not necessarily for a registry set but how about a set of 1959-81 PDS bronze issues where each coin displays a colorful RB obverse from being plucked from end of a machine wrapped roll where the obverse would be exposed?
    Might make for an interesting set with much eye appeal. Of course grading fees might be a deterrent.
    Eye candy coins (not necessarily super grade) can bring worthwhile money from certain interested parties.