Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1978 Eddie Murray ...

Kelloggs PSA 10 Pop 18, Sale price $125

Topps PSA 10 Pop 18, Sale Price $18,000

OPC PSA 10 POP 5, Sale Price $????

Any idea why the Kelloggs version is so low priced? This may be the best real rookie Kelloggs every produced.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

You said it... Kelloggs. I personally love them and have several unopened sets. But overall, the demand isn't there like the others. Those cards are also prone to cracking inside the holders, if not ideally stored. Although a little surprised a player collector hasn't splurged a little more for one of those.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like there is a lot of 1978 topps too. 9,000 graded 1978 topps murray's by psa, 230 kelloggs graded by psa.

1972 freehan sold for 550, 1971 frank howard sold for $500, 1975 rose sold for 600. you mean a rookie eddie murray with a very low pop goes for 20% of a frank howard or bill freehan. this looks like a diamond in the rough, of any card i can think of at the moment.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you start these threads, you always focus on supply and ignore demand.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:
    When you start these threads, you always focus on supply and ignore demand.

I agree. But a lot of collectibles, not just cards, derive their value from a lack of supply. Sometimes Gas prices are even dictated by lack of supply. I love grading cards and i like finding the cards that are lower cost, but have potential to go up. I bought up about 10 1990 Bowman Tiffany Griffey JR PSA 9 and PSA 10's for about $400 total back at Christmas time. At the time, no big deal, right now those same cards would cost about $1500, maybe more depending on how much the 10's go up.

I bought a $3 OPC card that has decent demand and low supply, graded it a PSA 10 and was offered $2,500 for it. So based on my past purchases, the low supply of Kelloggs, the high cost of the Topps Murray, it only makes sense to me that these cards have to move significantly in the near future.

Same thing with 2003 Bazooka Lebron cards. I bought 20 or more of these, mini, gold and regular. At the time, you would have said exactly the same thing to me if I was talking about the low number of submissions. But, hey, now several of these are going for over $1,000. I never paid more than $20 for any of them.

This gives you a little insight into my posts/thoughts. Sometimes, it takes a little time for the low supply to catch up with the pricing.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hostess doesn't even get a mention. That is a tough one to find in general and I suspect as graded 10, it would be quite expensive.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

I had a perfect 1978 Kelloggs Eddie Murray. It was uncracked, centered and the corners were all sharp. The card looked pack fresh. Then I decided to put it in a card saver 2 along with a ton of other kelloggs cards that were all in fantastic shape(3 1970 Clementes) I didn't have much room in the box so crammed them all in the box. A couple weeks plater i decided to pull out some of the better ones and of course they were all cracked to hell from my stupidity. Ever since that incident I have avoided all Kelloggs cards.

@mrmopar said:
    Hostess doesn't even get a mention. That is a tough one to find in general and I suspect as graded 10, it would be quite expensive.

Yeah I noticed that very few had been graded. I don't know much about this card, but it sounds interesting.

@ArtVandelay said:
    I had a perfect 1978 Kelloggs Eddie Murray. It was uncracked, centered and the corners were all sharp. The card looked pack fresh. Then I decided to put it in a card saver 2 along with a ton of other kelloggs cards that were all in fantastic shape(3 1970 Clementes) I didn't have much room in the box so crammed them all in the box. A couple weeks plater i decided to pull out some of the better ones and of course they were all cracked to hell from my stupidity. Ever since that incident I have avoided all Kelloggs cards.

This adds to the intrigue of this card going forward. Really hard to find a lot of them. If it's easy for them to crack then it will be very hard to find Gem Mint versions. Most certainly a 10 should be much higher than $100, especially if the Topps version is $18,000.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Murray was underrated. Had a great career.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Murray, AROD, Aaron, Mays, Palmeiro - only ones to have 3,000 hits and 500 HR.

• CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

Add Pujols to that list.

@Coarsegold said:

@olb31 said:

Add Pujols to that list.

You are correct. Thanks 6 total, all should be in the HOF at some point.

• toppsfootballtoppsfootball Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Murray's 1978 and 1979 Hostess cards are fairly difficult to find in high grade. The '78 is a short print with only 11 PSA 9's and zero 10's (I'm still looking for one). The '79 has 7 PSA 9's and 2 10's. I was very lucky to pick up the '79 10 a couple years ago for $51. A steal in my opinion. Kellogg's cards of course are very tough to keep from cracking. Been lucky and have had only one graded Kellogg's card crack in its holder. Need to clean glass on my scanner. These cards are much better looking than the current pics lol.

Matt

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

His Topps card in PSA 9 grade was risen nicely over the past couple of months to about $750 now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a pretty raw one I’m going to sub one of these days !

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion is the 78 Kellogg's is the nicest looking design.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Wow Tim, that's a beauty! That has a shot at a 10, right?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I pulled this one last month from a wax pack. At PSA now.

Wait, does @cpamike know you've been ripping? Tsk, tsk :D

@LarkinCollector said:

@grote15 said:
    I pulled this one last month from a wax pack. At PSA now.

Wait, does @cpamike know you've been ripping? Tsk, tsk :D

Believe it or not, it was a popped seal pack LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

That 78 Kelloggs is a hot looking card.

edited July 24, 2020 11:09PM

@baz518 said:
    Wow Tim, that's a beauty! That has a shot at a 10, right?

Thanks! I sure hope so!

i would get an 8.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

I just picked up the only graded Hostess 1978 on EBAY. It was a PSA 7.5. Only 35 of these have ever been graded, No 10's, 11 9's, 10 8's and then this one. I didn' t realize how rare this card is.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Found this one -- nice white, no cracks, slight curl..

@picklepete said:

Found this one -- nice white, no cracks, slight curl..

all the psa's are gone. no real nice ones listed. this looks like a solid 9.