Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Unopened Baseball Collection

Well, I was finally able to start pulling the collection together into a single place in my house. Been waiting for 8 years to have a single room and while it will remain “unfinished” for the foreseeable future given the COVID situation, I can still have some fun with it. Will take at least a few weeks for me to get all of my stuff in place and organized. Figured I would share a few pics of the journey along the way. Will slowly release as I make more progress.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Comments

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

More pics to come. Obviously a good look at the 85T and OPC runs above it. Feel free to share your own pics. Stay safe everyone!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

If I shared my own pics I would lose by far the ‘my thing is bigger than yours’ contest !!!!!!

Glorious Collection !!!

@Horse said:
    If I shared my own pics I would lose by far the ‘my thing is bigger than yours’ contest !!!!!!

Glorious Collection !!!

Thanks Horse, I definitely don’t win all of those contests.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:

Glorious Collection !!!

I wouldn't measure up, either, as my "junk" (wax) is mostly 1986-91.

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Very nice collection. Those are the same shelves I use in my unfinished basement as well.

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Can I go shopping at your house...……….

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Thanks! We all know now that those years are no longer considered junk wax. Wish I owned more of the 89-91, those shelves in my collection are quite bare.

@tkersting said:
    Very nice collection. Those are the same shelves I use in my unfinished basement as well.

Thanks! These shelves are fantastic. Hold a ton of weight, had classes stacked on top shelves for years.

@milbroco said:
    Can I go shopping at your house...……….

LOL, not in sell mode yet. But I can tell you that for certain friends who came into town and stayed with us we would “shop” and bust a ton of packs a few years back. Had a blast doing it. But like Chris’ thread shows, an unbelievably small % of gradeable cards were scored.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Lord what a ton of awesome 80's boxes! Are they FASC??

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes!!! I see you John, and I am loving that first view. Outstanding collection of clean 1980’s boxes. I was wondering who kept hoarding all this stuff 🙂

Sick collection of 1983s. That and 1985 are my favorite years of Topps for the decade. Cannot wait to see what else you have in store. You and I need to get together for a 1980’s rip party. We might be able to sell a few tickets 👍

I have never collected OPC baseball. I noticed that 1989 OPC boxes were not shown in the pic. Are those one of the tougher boxes?

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If I was lucky enough to have your collection, it would not survive quarantine ...

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little bit of pee just came out in my pants.

Is that a man shed? Aren't you concerned about humidity? It's so beautiful, they must be protected.

Arthur

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow those are great - congrats on a nice collection.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful sight right there!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 11:25AM

Delete - oops, wrong thread.

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    First up is my favorite issue of the 80s. 1983 Topps complete box collection. I’m cheating and adding the OPC in here too. Left to right: OPC, Wax, Michigan, Cello, Standard Rack. On top are Hard Header Rack (White box), Yellow Grocery Rack, Red Grocery Rack.

I think it moved.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@Horse said:

Glorious Collection !!!

All of my "junk" has been opened, collated into sets and placed in binders. :)

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Man those boxes look super clean too - hardly a rounded corner in the entire bunch! Really well done!

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection, 1983 Topps was the first box I ever purchased back in 83. $10 a box.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

Just a recommendation for putting your unopened boxes on those shelves, put some cardboard underneath them so that way it wont potentially damage the bottom cards of the bottom box, you know with those line marks. When you stack them 3 to 4 high thats a lot of weight. Just a recommendation.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 11:09PM

@hamilton989 said:
    Amazing boxes you got there. I more collect individual rack packs, but do have quite a few nice boxes, including the series 1 GPK.

See them all at collecktion.com

Here are a few pics from my downstairs office.

Whoa, nice 86 Football rack with 2 Rice's? Reminds me of the 1984 Rack w/ 2 Dickersons and the Insert card on the left was also Dickerson. And...never seen an 85 Donruss Rack w/ Clemens and Puckett! Great stuff.

@softparade said:
    Good Lord what a ton of awesome 80's boxes! Are they FASC??

Thanks! Very few are FASC. Some of the 87OPC are “tape intact”. Only 2 of the 83T and 2 of the 85T. But nearly all of those 85T are from 2 cases. One of which I opened myself. So I’m happy knowing they are case fresh.

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Yes!!! I see you John, and I am loving that first view. Outstanding collection of clean 1980’s boxes. I was wondering who kept hoarding all this stuff 🙂

Sick collection of 1983s. That and 1985 are my favorite years of Topps for the decade. Cannot wait to see what else you have in store. You and I need to get together for a 1980’s rip party. We might be able to sell a few tickets 👍

I have never collected OPC baseball. I noticed that 1989 OPC boxes were not shown in the pic. Are those one of the tougher boxes?

Thanks Chris, obviously nothing compares to your unseen hoard, but picking up piece by piece has been an awesome journey! LOL, an 80's rip event is def a needed future event, complimentary passes will be provided to all. For whatever reason I just didn't get 89OPC. Most of my collection was purchased opportunistically and those 89 opps just weren't there (or maybe i wasn't looking hard enough).

@GreenSneakers said:
    If I was lucky enough to have your collection, it would not survive quarantine ...

LOL, then I'm glad that you don't have access to my collection! In all seriousness, the urge to rip has never been lower for me, strangely enough. I picked up a case of 2020 Series 1 to rip with kids throughout the Little League and MLB season, but both were cancelled and the case sits in my closet.

@ReggieCleveland said:
    A little bit of pee just came out in my pants.

Is that a man shed? Aren't you concerned about humidity? It's so beautiful, they must be protected.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur! It is part of my house, actually an extension off of my bedroom and has access to climate control. B/c the framing inspection wasn't complete it sits like this. Will be an expensive summer cooling this place!

@grote15 said:
    That's a beautiful sight right there!

Appreciate that Tim, especially coming from someone who wields a completely insane collection!

@mrpeanut39 said:

I think it moved.

LOL, hope that you are well and are still chipping away at your incredible quest. One of the all time great CU threads, looking forward to more updates.

@lilmule said:
    I can’t even compare to your awesome collection, but I took a picture just to put it up there. Incredible collection you have there.

That is a sweet collection you have going. Though I recommend you get that 87D box front and center ASAP!

Hamilton989 - great collection! Lots of diversity and simply insane rack packs! Thanks for sharing.

BPorter26 - we need to find the time machine and go back for the $10 boxes! I didn’t collect in 83, but was really full bore into the Yankees by that time. What were kids hunting for in those 1983 packs?

Balco, you guys with these incredible pack runs always make me kick myself for not doing vintage unopened. Simply gorgeous run!

I am your man if you ever want to part with that 81 Super Cello! It’s a gaping hole in my 80s collection. Love it!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet run, Steve! I recognize a couple of those cellos, too! ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED!!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks gents. Yes Tim, thanks for selling me those - they have a good home :)

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Sweet run, Steve! I recognize a couple of those cellos, too! ;)

That's a shocker! :D

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2020 10:47AM

Nice boxes , i figured id go through the boxes I had and get em in top loaders or binders.. just did my last box this morning so I have no unopened left . took up most of one of my bookshelves to store em .. the boxes are top loaders , penny sleeves and some graded . hoping to pick up some more boxes soon except for the fact am broke ... the pics are part of my bedroom. the four hanging hats are signed . the red cap above the grey one is signed by the 2012 olympic womans soccer team . the grey one is signed by 7 members of the predators and the other two are mixed autos

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

That's quite a set of balls.

PackManInNC
  • @mexpo75 said:
    That's quite a set of balls.

Lol. Yeah at one time I was working on collecting hof signed baseballs. I moved on to collecting 83 unopened. Looking to sell it trade all the balls before I move in the winter.

Hey Martin,
    Love your collection, it’s insane. Blows my 83T away. The red rack box was one of my white whales. I also have the “hard header” rack box, which is the only one I have seen. Got it many years ago on ebay. It’s boring with one sticker on top, but never saw one aside from mine.

I am on the FB Vintage Packs page too. Followed your journey there. Clearly a prescient call on your time to pick 83T!

My advice is that vending is underrated.

John

I’m behind on some solid posts. But wanted to share another white whale (yea, there’s 4-5 left from 80s). I just got this a couple days ago.

Have been looking for an 85F rack box for a long time. Need to take out my run of 80s Fleer rack boxes for a better pic.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    I’m behind on some solid posts. But wanted to share another white whale (yea, there’s 4-5 left from 80s). I just got this a couple days ago.

Sweetness! 84F and 85F rack boxes are freakin’ tough. Nice pickup. Is it the wax rack version or the clear racks?

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Love the 85 Fleer box...a true rarity!

• @NJ80sBBC said:
    Hey Martin,
    Love your collection, it’s insane. Blows my 83T away. The red rack box was one of my white whales. I also have the “hard header” rack box, which is the only one I have seen. Got it many years ago on ebay. It’s boring with one sticker on top, but never saw one aside from mine.

I am on the FB Vintage Packs page too. Followed your journey there. Clearly a prescient call on your time to pick 83T!

My advice is that vending is underrated.

John

That's awesome, I will have to continue to search for that red grocery tray! O also have one cardboard header rack box and am half way to another but still need a box for it. I love them as they are harder to find than the plastic headers. I agree that the vending are cool. I have 1 fasc and 5 fritch boxes.

-jeremy

Good stuff JEREMY! (Sorry about that)

Do you have the hard header rack box? Would love to see another.

• @NJ80sBBC said:

Oh interesting I thought you meant cardboard header, what is the hard header, I've never seen that?!? Now I'm super intrigued!!

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:

Are you talking about cardboard header 1983 racks? I've got a box of em.
    kevin

Been busy with work and kids. And trying to assess whether we have any Little League practices or not.

Anyway, here’s a couple of pics I dug up of the 83 cardboard header rack box. I actually bought this many years ago and it came with a Gwynn on top of one rack. Which I sold for a pittance.

Hey Kevin,
    Can you post your box? I’m hoping it looks like this.

I’m also your man if you want to sell :-)

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Hey Kevin,
    Can you post your box? I’m hoping it looks like this.

I’m also your man if you want to sell :-)

Wow! That's a fun looking box. Looks like the boxes they packed GPK racks into, as well as the WWF racks and the 1983 Olympic racks. Mine looks like a traditional "black and white" rack box, just longer. I will see if I can find a picture of it. It is presently hiding in a tub at the bottom of my closet, and it's a pain to get to. Sell? Hahahahaha...I cannot even fathom what market is right now for those. The packs aren't that hard to find- it's the boxes. They are impossible. My box I got on ebay 20 years ago for a pittance. It's just staying put for the forseeable future!
    kevin