Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Worst looking big name rookie card from the 1980s.

hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I have really gotten back into collecting since the COVID-crisis. Lately I've been looking through my collection trying to judge what my absolute favorite cards. Still deciding on that, but definitely figured out what I think is the least-attractive big rookie card of the 1980's - It has to be the 84 Topps Elway rookie. Could there be a worse look for a Hall-of-Fame rookie card?

? Totally lacking inspiration.

Comments

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

1983 topps Gwynn ,

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2020 6:31AM

@1959 said:
    1983 topps Gwynn ,

Agree.

The only thing that remotely saves that card is the inset head shot.

83 Topps Boggs isn't much better.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1982 Topps Base set Ripken
    2. 1981 Topps Base set Raines
    3. 1986 Fleer base set Canseco (only thing worse than Canseco’s close up head shot of the Donruss as adding Eric Plunk to it
    4. 1986 Donruss Canseco (crustache)
    5. 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn

That’s my list. Don’t mind the Elway at all

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

The 1986 Fleer Canseco is a great call with Eric Plunk there. I love the 83s though. 1982 Lawrence Taylor is bad too. Is it always so blurry?

I love 82 Topps football so I will disagree. That was the year they were able to once again use team logos on cards and they capitalized on it by adding the helmet to the card design. 9 year old me loved it. I also loved the fact that the card says All Pro

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve often thought Brooks Robinson must be thrilled that his 57 picture is his rookie rather than his 58.

I too vote for Tony Gwynns butt.

@GreenSneakers said:
    I’ve often thought Brooks Robinson must be thrilled that his 57 picture is his rookie rather than his 58.

I too vote for Tony Gwynns butt.

Ah yes the 58 Topps Gomer Pyle

I love the 1982 Topps football set also (just not the taylor card)! It was the first year and set I collected cards (I was seven). I have some great memories of those cards and at the time tried to collect all of the Redskins and the Steelers, my two favorite teams. I could never seem to get the John Riggins card. I remember they even used to sell rack packs at the Smithsonian Museum of National history of that year. Here is one of my favorites from 82

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I'll get roasted for saying this but I hate the look of the multi prospect RCs more and more every year. So I agree with the 1982 Ripken call here. I also think the fact that a panel card is the key Bird/Magic RC is sacrilegious.

The Montana card is my favorite card in the set easily. As a Saints I was eagerly awaiting the George Rogers Rc. The photo is terrible

@rexvos said:
    1. 1982 Topps Base set Ripken
    2. 1981 Topps Base set Raines
    3. 1986 Fleer base set Canseco (only thing worse than Canseco’s close up head shot of the Donruss as adding Eric Plunk to it
    4. 1986 Donruss Canseco (crustache)
    5. 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn

That’s my list. Don’t mind the Elway at all

I agree that the Ripkens are also suspect. That said, I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like the 1982 Fleers. 82 Donruss not so much.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the ones listed here don't bother me at all. I do hate multi-player RCs, so I'll give a nod to 82 Topps Ripken RC. Also his Fleer RC looks terrible imo.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    I love 82 Topps football so I will disagree. That was the year they were able to once again use team logos on cards and they capitalized on it by adding the helmet to the card design. 9 year old me loved it. I also loved the fact that the card says All Pro

@rexvos nice LT. Was good to see actual logos and far less or no
    airbrushing.

• DonyoguyDonyoguy Posts: 30 ✭✭

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one too, I think. LT is too big a deal in the history of sports to have THAT picture as his featured card. The Thinker?? Ugh. I think of his highlight reel and my god man you couldn't find ANY action shot to use?!