Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any value to this Tony Gwynn autograph??

Like many people I've been digging through boxes of '80's and '90's collectibles. Ran across this. It's a Walla Walla Padres minor league program from 1981 signed by Tony Gwynn, Rickey Nelson and Mel Stottlemyre. Gwynn played 42 games for Walla Walla and hit .331 before being called up to Amarillo later that year. It is authenticated by JSA. Anyway, I think it's kind of cool even if not worth anything.

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

to a Gwynn collector, it'd surely have value

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of Gwynn autographed 8x10's going for $50.00+

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited May 21, 2020 6:44AM

@MLBdays said:
    My God, Rick Nelson..... :D .....Tony was a beast and a lovable one at that... I miss Gwynn! Im looking out for his O-pee-chee RC in high grade ....

What's up with his Topps RC? In a 10 it seems to go from $700.00-1,700.00. Any reason?

You can get an awesome PSA 9 OPC for around $200.00. Only 233 OPC 9's compared to 656 Topps 10's.

The OPC PSA 9...................HERE is a good investment. Collectors/investors are stupid to focus on only 10's, but that's the way it is.

Finding an OPC 10 would be great. How much do they go for?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Recent Gwynn rookies sales have been all over the place. I wish I had the money to pay $1,000.00 more for a card than it went for yesterday. This is not a rare card, there were several that went for around $700.00.

Even if these are legitimate sales, it really inflates the "true" value of the card in question.

I would be buying the (well centered) OPC 9 over the Topps PSA 10.

The Jeter cards are just insane!

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

That's definitely an early era Gwynn signature, and I think it's an awesome piece of memorabilia!

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments fellas. Ozzie Smith also played in Walla Walla, WA.

On another note: Most of the cards I have from the 80's and 90's were not worth grading IMO with the exception of Henderson, Ripken, Gwynn, Mattingly and Griffey plus maybe a few more. I mean most were a "bust even" at $6 a card in PSA 9 in the early 2000's. Larkin, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Alomar all had to be PSA 10 to come out just a little ahead. You could pick up all these cards for just a couple bucks each in PSA 9 pretty easily. I picked up a '87 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro PSA 10 for $3, a '89 Bowman Gary Sheffield PSA 10 for $5 and a '90 Topps Frank Thomas PSA 10 for $10. Sold all three for $33, $61 and $122 in the last couple weeks. All this craziness is unreal...................

• TGwynnCollectorTGwynnCollector Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I love that item! Just sent you a PM...

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:

On another note: Most of the cards I have from the 80's and 90's were not worth grading IMO with the exception of Henderson, Ripken, Gwynn, Mattingly and Griffey plus maybe a few more. I mean most were a "bust even" at $6 a card in PSA 9 in the early 2000's. Larkin, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Alomar all had to be PSA 10 to come out just a little ahead. You could pick up all these cards for just a couple bucks each in PSA 9 pretty easily. I picked up a '87 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro PSA 10 for $3, a '89 Bowman Gary Sheffield PSA 10 for $5 and a '90 Topps Frank Thomas PSA 10 for $10. Sold all three for $33, $61 and $122 in the last couple weeks. All this craziness is unreal...................

Damn then I'm not paying attention. Did you get those prices via auction or BIN/BO? I need to get some stuff up on Ebay.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

@sayheywyo said:

I picked up a '87 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro PSA 10 for $3

There's certainly no love for this guy!

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

No love at all for Palmeiro. Last year you couldn't give away a Sammy Sosa PSA 9 for $3 + shipping. Today---$60??? Found a Brady Anderson in a top loader......... must be the worst player ever to hit 50 homers in a season. Just smiled and laughed.