Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry set population question

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added an item to a registry type set of mine. The cert shows that there is a population of only 14 higher than what I put in. But once added to the set it shows 561 higher. In fact, several items show overall population higher than the cert. So... is the “pop higher” count in the registry a sum of all pops of that type that are higher or is it meant to show only how many are higher for the specific date/mint added?

Comments

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

My date set does that also.
    My 1920-P MS64+ saint has a pop of 92 and 2 higher but since it is a date set it takes into account ALL of the 1920 coins of which there are several 1920-S coins that have 8 higher than MS64+

• Options

I’m glad it’s what is expected rather than a problem. How all the set values are derived is a bit of voodoo to me.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

If your set is a copper one with color designations (RD, RB, BN), if your RB coin is a top pop for RB's, the second column will assume all RDs are "higher". I don't like the logic and have complained about it in the past.

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that you might be seeing the population for the exact coin, and also the population for the type coin. For example, in a $10 date set, if you enter an 1879 cc coin, it will show you the population for the exact 1879 cc coin, and then the population for all 1879 $10 coins.

• Options

In my case it’s a type set. The coin is a pop 14 with 14 higher. It shows pop 470 with 561 higher. It has to be from all coins of that type which is misleading. Now, if they labeled it as the population of the type it would be clearer.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I do believe that Genuine coins are not included in the pop report totals.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

The "Pop Higher" column/number should only equal the number of coins that would receive
    a higher rating than your existing Registry coin. Exa. A Proof70 coin is currently included in the "Pop Higher"
    column/number over a PR69DCAM coin, buy the PR70 coin will not increase the rating of that particular date/MM coin.
    I only want to know how many coins have been graded of that particular date/MM that would increase my overall set rating.
    Danny