Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about SI for Kids cards*Update Finally separated Are the Jordan and Griffey worth grading?

Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Like everyone else during Coronacation 2020, I'm going through boxes, not looked at in years, and found about 10 panels of SI for Kids cards. Here are a couple examples. Should I cut the panels, and if so what is the best method for cutting these besides carefully? Sorry for the phone pics. I need to get a new scanner.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

DO NOT CUT! If you want to get them graded, they must be torn at the perforations.

• Thank you LarkinCollector! It seems like tearing these at the perforations might be risky, especially for me without a steady hand. With my luck I would mess up the Jordan and the Griffey, but Ned Overend the Mountain Biker would come out perfect. No offense to cyclists here!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 10:35AM

I had that same sheet with MJ on the right and didn't care for the other cards so I cut it straight down the middle thru the Seles/Okoye/Brown cards,practiced folding the left column cards back & forth slowly then when the seams were weak pulled them apart slowly. Then I did the MJ column and this was the result below that I was extremely happy with. If you don't want to ruin the other cards from that sheet I'd recommend to try practicing on a sheet you don't care for first.

Edit: Be careful not to crease the cards while folding them back & forth,they're extremely easy to crease.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gilman is one of my top 3 favorite female racquet ball players.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

One other oddity of SIFKs, for the most part they're the red headed stepchild of the 4 big sports, even if they're rookie year issues. Pricing is really erratic on both the Jordan and Griffey. Looking at the Jordan, there's a huge spread on the sales of 9s, with one of the 7s going for more than the lowest: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/multi-sport-cards/s-kids-series-2/michael-jordan/values/550724

They're more accepted for many of the minor sports, especially for years where there were no mainstream sets issued. The Seles on the Griffey sheet is her XRC/first card (though in my experience tennis cards rarely sell for much graded as there doesn't seem to be a lot of registry competition) and if you could get a 9/10 on the Seve you might start a bidding war between myself and @galaxy27 ;)

• @LarkinCollector said:
    One other oddity of SIFKs, for the most part they're the red headed stepchild of the 4 big sports, even if they're rookie year issues. Pricing is really erratic on both the Jordan and Griffey. Looking at the Jordan, there's a huge spread on the sales of 9s, with one of the 7s going for more than the lowest: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/multi-sport-cards/s-kids-series-2/michael-jordan/values/550724

They're more accepted for many of the minor sports, especially for years where there were no mainstream sets issued. The Seles on the Griffey sheet is her XRC/first card (though in my experience tennis cards rarely sell for much graded as there doesn't seem to be a lot of registry competition) and if you could get a 9/10 on the Seve you might start a bidding war between myself and @galaxy27 ;)

I saw that prices were all over the place for the Jordan. Very interesting with those sales. Sorry, Seve has a mark on his name, so no 9 or10, but Jack looks like an 8+.

Nicklaus is a more consistent seller, but the drop off is steep. 9s are ~$30, 8s won't get your grading fees back. Hitting the first 10 could be very profitable.

• Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Only took a month to separate the panels. @LarkinCollector @erikthredd What do think? Worth grading them?

Both appear to have 8 potential, Griffey is barely worth it, Jordan definitely is.

Thank you LarkinCollector. I probably will grade both, even if the Griffey isn't really a money-maker, I just like the card.

Thank you dustinspeaks! I have the Tony Hawk, and a PSA 8 just sold for $119 two days ago! One more for the grading pile for me.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Canes8387899101 said:
    Only took a month to separate the panels. @LarkinCollector @erikthredd What do think? Worth grading them?

Looks like you did a pretty good job! Let us know your results when you get them,good luck.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

A 10 on the 89 Or 93 Gretzky would do pretty good..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    I believe PSA will also grade entire sheets. Is this a better option than breaking them up? And if you grade the sheet should you take off the white strip on the left side?

The sheets do fit in the relatively new Jumbo size holders which are notably bigger than the biggest supersize holders. But, I'm not sure anyone has subbed any yet?

@dustinspeaks said:
    I believe PSA will also grade entire sheets. Is this a better option than breaking them up? And if you grade the sheet should you take off the white strip on the left side?

They're expensive to grade that way (+$30 holder charge each on top of grading fees) and difficult to get a 7 or better on. I haven't done it with the SIFKs in particular, but other 9-card perforated sheets of a heavier cardstock that doesn't wrinkle as easy. The Jumbo holders are difficult to ship also if grading to resell.