Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mike Tyson return?

It seems as though Mike Tyson could be returning to the ring for another round in the heavyweight division and a possible run at the heavyweight title. He has been training heavily and on Monday he posted a training video on instagram with the message "I'm back". I don't know if Tyson is serious about returning to the ring, but it certainly is an interesting developement. The video he posted was a vicious display of speed and explosiveness. If this is the case, then Mike Tyson mania could be the next card craze to hit. The heavyweight division should be concerned if he returns because he looks dangerous.

“There’s not enough money in the world to pull a man off the canvas when he has fallen face first, or to make him keep punching through a waterfall of blood and bone-dead exhaustion. That comes from somewhere else, some place deep and feral, where money has no meaning.” - William Dettloff

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just sold recently on EBAY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Panini-Italian-153-Mike-Tyson-True-RC-Rookie-Card-BGS-9-5-Gem-Mint-Pop-1/143598003158?hash=item216f1ba3d6:g:iEsAAOSw5IRes0HL

He looks ferocious in the video you reference. I read last week he was in talks to take a bare knuckle fight and I also read a clip that a potential Holyfield fight is in the works. Who knows.

All I have to say is bring on the Mike Tyson card mania!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    This just sold recently on EBAY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Panini-Italian-153-Mike-Tyson-True-RC-Rookie-Card-BGS-9-5-Gem-Mint-Pop-1/143598003158?hash=item216f1ba3d6:g:iEsAAOSw5IRes0HL

He looks ferocious in the video you reference. I read last week he was in talks to take a bare knuckle fight and I also read a clip that a potential Holyfield fight is in the works. Who knows.

All I have to say is bring on the Mike Tyson card mania!

Yes, he was vicious in that video, I wouldn't want to face him. I also read online that George Foreman has been watching his training, and Foreman hopes Tyson makes a comeback and tries to contend for the heavyweight crown. I would love to see Tyson get in there and mix it up in the heavyweight division again. We'll just have to wait and see!

“There’s not enough money in the world to pull a man off the canvas when he has fallen face first, or to make him keep punching through a waterfall of blood and bone-dead exhaustion. That comes from somewhere else, some place deep and feral, where money has no meaning.” - William Dettloff

• Options
    edited May 12, 2020 12:36PM

As well as his 1986 Panini rookie, I expect the price of this card to go up if Tyson does indeed return, especially since it has a print run of I believe 125.

• Options

I would also think this one will go up as well. It has a really cool image of him on it.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

He keeps saying he's training for exhibition bouts for charity. But man, I dunno. He sure does look frightening.

• Options

@remedylane said:
    He keeps saying he's training for exhibition bouts for charity. But man, I dunno. He sure does look frightening.

Yes he does, and I hope he does return! He looks like he could handle himself quite well in the ring. I would love to see a Tyson Fury vs Mike Tyson fight!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I'd love to see him make a comeback and knock some kid out, I think realistically he would have a tough time with any of the top heavyweights in the world, especially past the first couple of rounds. Just don't really see a real competitive match happening at his age.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2020 1:20PM

Tyson has a lot of cool cards.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Tyson has a lot of cool cards.

Awesome Tyson collection!

• Options

Thanks. Hoping for a big run up!

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

Now THATS one fight id actually pay cable to watch! I’ve never paid to watch a fight, ever! But sign me up for this one. Way back in the day I was too young to even care... probably playing with friends somewhere in the streets 😁

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it happens. Real heavyweight prizefights. I think his only realistic shot at a top heavyweight would be to train to attack hard in the first 3-4 rounds. At 53, I doubt he has the stamina to go 10 or 12.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I hope it happens. Real heavyweight prizefights. I think his only realistic shot at a top heavyweight would be to train to attack hard in the first 3-4 rounds. At 53, I doubt he has the stamina to go 10 or 12.

That was always his game anyways. Even in his prime he was never a 12 round boxer. First 6 rounds were always his best. Not that he couldn't go more, I think his mindset was different then. I think his mindset now is wayy better than when he was 20 years old. Now, I don't think he will actually make a professional come back. I think he will do some exhibitions, maybe a Holifield fight.

If he did come back professionally, I think he would wreck most of the division even at 53. Against Fury or Wilder I'd at least give him a punchers chance.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

sorry guys...Tyson would get blown up at this point.....by any upper tier heavyweight...(IMHO)

• Options

I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be in front of Tyson when he releases fury like he did in that training video. You have to remember, all it takes is one well placed punch to end a fight. That's what is so dangerous about hard punchers. George Foreman was 45 years old when he fought Michael Moorer for the title, and he caught Moorer with a shot and put him down.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

A card of the back of a guy's head, NOW I have seen everything!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    A card of the back of a guy's head, NOW I have seen everything!

The cards were part of a game to identify the player pictured. Most athletes that had two cards in it had one easy one and a difficult one (Langer wandering in the trees, Seve obscured by a wall of sand, Nicklaus from behind, etc.)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

A training video is a far cry from competitive boxing in the ring. Tyson looked completely washed up at the end of his career and that was 15 years ago. I would not expect much from him at age 53.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2020 11:39AM

I love Iron Mike but I think he would get smoked by Fury, Wilder or Joshua. Smokes too much pot (you shouldn't smoke pot at all, it is a very dangerous drug. A lot of people think it's "harmless" ...believe me, I know from experience....it's not "harmless"... I am all for medical marijuana but not at all for recreational use....) and he is ancient in the fight game. Stay retired old man.....

chaz

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2020 12:06PM

He's only going to be boxing for charity if he boxes at all. He's said on numerous occasions that he doesn't even like watching boxing anymore. He finds it too violent.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think the lack of sports is getting to some people in this thread. anyone who thinks that Iron Mike would have anything beyond a (very, very fortuitous) puncher's chance against any pugilist worth his salt is borderline troubling to me. if he looks so spectacular in a clip where no one is unleashing back at him (lol), where was this supposed impressiveness fifteen years ago when he fought Tomato Can McBride? you know, the guy who lost 6 of his next 8 fights after he stopped Tyson and ended up retiring himself?

please just stop it. the guy is closer to full retirement age than the last time he fought. stick him in the ring with any boxer worth a lick and if he isn't able to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the first few minutes, his face will rival Tony Ferguson's from 4 nights ago.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say CC Sabathia has a better chance! Dude got jacked. Good for him,

• Options

A couple of more awesome Tyson items. The asking price for the factory sealed Mike Tyson's Punch Out game is $70,000.

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@chaz43 said:
    I love Iron Mike but I think he would get smoked by Fury, Wilder or Joshua. Smokes too much pot (you shouldn't smoke pot at all, it is a very dangerous drug. A lot of people think it's "harmless" ...believe me, I know from experience....it's not "harmless"... I am all for medical marijuana but not at all for recreational use....) and he is ancient in the fight game. Stay retired old man.....

chaz

Same as Jordan coming back to today’s players... they’d bench him! Lol he wouldn’t even be a starter in today’s game.

But Tyson might just have a shot... I hope it happens.

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

@chaz43 said:

chaz

Same as Jordan coming back to today’s players... they’d bench him! Lol he wouldn’t even be a starter in today’s game.

Like the old joke circa 1947. "Man, with the way these guys play today, Ty Cobb would hit .300." "Yeah?" "Wellhe'd be 60 years old."

• Options

I think Tyson could hold his own if he got back in the ring. The guy holding the mitts for Tyson in the training video, Rafael Cordeiro, is a MMA trainer, and he said "when Tyson hit those mitts, it felt like Tyson was 30 years younger". He might be 53, but those punches can do some serious damage to anyone on the receiving end, and in boxing, all it takes is one punch to change a fight. Shannon Sharpe said "you'd have to be a fool to climb into the ring with him". Boxing legendary trainer Teddy Atlas said "Tyson looks good and that he has decent speed and is throwing punches with bad intentions for his opponents".

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do Rihanna and Chris Brown have to do with Mike Tyson?

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

He was good in the Hangover movie.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a shell of himself in 2005 and couldnt even beat Kevin McBride. Now 15 years later, at age 53, after a scripted training video, he's suddenly a viable heavyweight fighter?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Tyson vs Briggs.

Shannon Briggs revealed in a chat on instagram that he and Mike Tyson have agreed to an exhibition fight. He said he has spoken with Tyson and they reached an agreement.

• Options

Evander Holyfield has posted another training video, with a clear cut message for Mike Tyson. That message is, "I told you I had something for you." In the video, Holyfield is seen training beside Wladimir Klitschko and Antonio Tarver. Holyfield can be seen with a huge and heavy chain around his neck. Holyfield wants Tyson bad!

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

@chaz43 said:

chaz

Who said anything about Jordan??? Are you Nuts????? Stay on the topic.

chaz

• Options

Wow! Tyson has been all over the place lately, there's a new story about him almost every day online. He made an appearance on AEW Double or Nothing, and Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship has offered him $20 million to fight for them. He's all over the place! It's good to see his cards taking off.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 7:46AM

He can't quite rip his shirt off at this moment in time so he best stay retired and dabbling in wrestling, movies, etc. and to wear thinner shirts :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

The drama just keeps getting better every day! Now, Roy Jones Jr released a statement saying that he will fight Tyson or Holyfield anywhere, anytime. He goes on to say that some people have been bullying him around lately and he's sick of it. He says he isn't afraid of Tyson, and he'll fight him anywhere, anytime.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Nice card!!

@doubledragon said:
    As well as his 1986 Panini rookie, I expect the price of this card to go up if Tyson does indeed return, especially since it has a print run of I believe 125.

• Options

@Mphilking said:
    Nice card!!

@doubledragon said:

I wish I owned this! This is just an example of the card that I posted to show how cool looking it is. I love the design and the look of Tyson on the card. He looks like a package of dynamite that's ready to explode! ;)

• Options

Big sale price on this one. $1,100 for a PSA 10 of his Question of Sport

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewitem&item=254194542908

Tried winning this card last night but got beat at the end. I had never seen the card and I think it is one of those 80's Broder cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Big-League-MIKE-TYSON-RC-ONLY-ONE-EVER-GRADED-SGC-8-17-Adopt-Home-Cards/202999000217?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Big sale price on this one. $1,100 for a PSA 10 of his Question of Sport

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewitem&item=254194542908

Tried winning this card last night but got beat at the end. I had never seen the card and I think it is one of those 80's Broder cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Big-League-MIKE-TYSON-RC-ONLY-ONE-EVER-GRADED-SGC-8-17-Adopt-Home-Cards/202999000217?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've never seen that card before, that is an awesome card.

• Options

Mike Tyson has made another training video. He looks more than capable of handling himself in the ring. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essentiallysports.com/boxing-news-watch-mike-tyson-stuns-fans-in-fearsome-sparring-video/amp/

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Keep pumping out videos like this and stay out of the ring Mike!

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

007 373 5963 baby!

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I heard that Tyson was getting in fighting shape for a stint in the WWE.

• Options

@Tecmo Boil said:
    007 373 5963 baby!

Yeah! That's a classic!

• Options
    edited June 23, 2020 12:48PM

@Gilbey said:
    I heard that Tyson was getting in fighting shape for a stint in the WWE.

That could be true, he has ties to WWE and he was the referee at the Wrestlemania 14 Stonecold Steve Austin vs Shawn Michaels match, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in WWE.

• Options

I heard Don King wants to manage him... :o

Previous CU user: jmmiller777
    Baseball HOFer's-PSA6+
    Heritage Sets
    Kellogg's Graded-PSA 8+
    60's Topps Sets-Raw
    Anything that Catches My Attention

• Options

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

He has to beat the shark first.