Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Warwick Bank Obsolete Curreny

I have an uncut sheet of 4 Warwick Bank notes. The Warwick Bank operated from 1818 until 1859 in Warwick, RI. The notes are in excellent condition and are in a frame. The belonged to a friend of mine who was a well known RI coin dealer. He also specialized in currency and was very knowledgeable. I've been collecting coins for years, but have very little knowledge about currency. I found an uncut sheet listed on eBay for $600.00. They were graded by PCGS. My sheet appears to be in excellent condition, but I'm wondering how framing them affected their value. The bills are two fives, a ten and a twenty. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyway you could post some photos ?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see some pics ... if possible.

• TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Sorry, don't have the ability to post photos of it. I found the same sheet on eBay though. How would the framing affect the value of the currency? The framing was done in a professional manner. Looks nice on the wall of my den.

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 12:08AM

Why are you unable to post photos ?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obvious answer is that if the framing didn't affect the notes then it won't harm the value. The more the notes are damaged, either by framing or removal, the more value will be reduced. We would need to see the notes after removal or good pictures of how they are mounted or attached to the mat or backing, to even guess how easy removal would be or if any damage might result.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure if framing them meant they were no longer collectible. Thanks for the answer.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 4:38PM

If the framing was done properly (without adhesives), you should be able to remove the notes with no damage or loss of value. Glue should not be used, tape is worse, but the notes would still have some (reduced) value. If the sheet is in direct sunlight, it needs to be in an archival frame with UV glass. Best to just avoid any sunlight.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.