Home U.S. Coin Forum

1957 and 1958 Proof Jefferson Nickels.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2020 5:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Over the past several days I have been looking at the inventory from some well known dealers and noticed a couple had 1958 PF68UCAM Jefferson Nickels listed for sale. To be honest, it surprised me. For a number of years, probably two decades, 1958 was the key date for the Jefferson Nickel Proof series and had probably less than five known Deep Cameo/Ultra Cameo examples. So I checked the pop reports at both PCGS and NGC: what I found surprised me.

Not only had the numbers tripled for 1958, but suddenly the new "Key" happens to be 1957. Here are the current numbers for the combined services:
--- 1957/6 graded Ultra Cameo and 2 graded Deep Cameo.
--- 1958/10 graded Ultra Cameo and 14 graded Deep cameo.

Perhaps 15 years ago I had done a quick study of the numbers for the 1950 Proofs of each denomination and along with a few other interested members we had kept it updated. I located the thread for posterity and it's interesting to see how the numbers have moved and how 1957 has remained at the same level for over 15 years. If you have one of these coins and a good image, please post it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/223046/1950s-deep-cameo-proofs-a-follow-up-after-four-plus-years-and-not-much-has-changed-can-s/p1

Al H.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy your comments and thoughts on 1957 and 1958 proof Jefferson nickels.

My own experience in hunting for these coins indicates 1957 is tougher than 1958 when it comes to finding Cameo and examples of same.

I have found around 5 raw 1958 nickels that IMO would warrant a Cameo designation. I have found only 1 raw 1957 nickel that IMO would warrant a Cameo designation.

Finding a raw DCAM/UCAM example of either date.......... FUGGIT ABOUT IT!!!!!

I keep looking though and hope for a miracle.

I would like to see in hand any 1957 and 1958 DCAM/UCAM nickels. I suspect that many of them would likely not receive said designation if submitted today.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked Coinfacts and there are ZERO images for 1957 DCAMs. Here's the highest rated 1958 (PR69DCAM!):

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

How difficult is a 1950-1964 proof set, cent thru half, to put together?

Wouldn't think it would be overly difficult.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

1950-1964 proof set, cent thru half, to put together?

without looking at any prices you could probably buy that date run for under $1500 in OGP. to find those same coins certified by PCGS in Deep Cameo grades could cost you that much any number of single coins. as an example, the 1958 DCAM Jefferson Nickel alone would cost more than that.

The Raven.

If you purchase slabbed examples of Cameo proof coins from 1950-1964 you could easily assemble a complete set, though some of the coins will likely cost over $1,000.00.

If you wanted to purchase slabbed examples of these coins that have been awarded a DCAM or UCAM designation then assembling a complete set is much more difficult (and for practical reasons impossible; i.e. I think that there are only 2 or 3 DCAM 1957 nickels and I have not heard of any of them being sold; same thing for 1951 cents).

If instead of putting together a slabbed set of these coins you choose to assemble a raw set you will not be able to do so in a short period of time. The cost is less when you purchase raw examples of these coins, but finding raw examples that are of high quality (adequately frosted devices, mirrored fields, grading 65 or higher with no haze or other detractions) is time consuming, difficult and frustrating.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2020 7:19AM

Al, you have probably done the most research into cameo nickels from the '50's.
    When I put my cameo sets together, I always thought the hardest to find in cameo was the 1953 and 1957. They were the last coins I was able to acquire. Never got the opportunity to find a 57 or 58 in dcam - just this side of impossible, and I have probably looked at thousands of sets.
    I settled for 8 cams for 1957 and 1958, but I did find lighting in a bottle by finding a raw 1953 in deep cameo out in the wild. By far, my best cameo nickel find in 30 years.

You can view all these coins if you click on the link in my signature line - once in the album you can see a True View of each coin by clicking on it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

edited April 9, 2020 7:46AM

as I was reading your post I was trying to remember who it was that found a raw 1953 DCAM in a Proof Set, thanks for reminding me that it was you!!! I recall when you mentioned that here the first time how excited you must have been to have found that!! :o:)B)

• kauwisckauwisc Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Keets,
    Have the number of 57 Cameo's risen lately?

Seems that I've seen more lately than ever.

TIA.

Is a nice non cameo set worth trying to assemble?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - could be something look for / pickup.

Coins & Currency
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheRaven said:

Probably only if you'd enjoy the process or owning the coins when you were done. I don't see much investment potential there. There are some nicely toned examples to be found in the series, if you're into that sort of thing.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1958 Jefferson was one of the first cameo coins I purchased and started me down the road of being a cameo hunter. For me 1950 was the most difficult year followed by 1953. Here's a link to my Proof Jefferson Set; all but I believe the 1955, 1962, and 1963 I purchased raw and had graded. Proof Jeffersons are a lot of fun. PCGS price guide on my set is just under $5,000 which isn't too shabby for $.95.

@CoinJunkie said:

@TheRaven said:

Probably only if you'd enjoy the process or owning the coins when you were done. I don't see much investment potential there. There are some nicely toned examples to be found in the series, if you're into that sort of thing.

This is one thing that sort of has kept me away from working on this project. Not that making money is a prime motivating factor.

Raven, if you really want to form a collection of these coins from 1950-1970 there is a tried and true way to do it that many/most of us have followed. you will be hampered initially because of what is currently taking place with lockdowns but that might be a good thing, it'll give you time to check prices, availability, what dates might be best to start with, major varieties to look for, how to store/display everything, etc.

a sound approach is to start buying the best sets you can find for a specific date, let's say 1960. they can be either in OGP or Capital Plastic type holders. as you progress, you'll start to accumulate individual coins/denominations/dates that you can then put into two groups: the coins you're keeping, the coins you'll be selling. it's probably best to keep everything in flips inside a box at first but as you have complete date reject sets, you put them into extra Capital holders and sell. at first it will be money going out but as time passes you should remain close to nuetral, only paying whatever the "spread" might be for the coins you keep.

sometimes, especially as you start, you might find 2-3 nice "keeper" coins in each set. you'll also no doubt upgrade coins you have kept until you get a nice date set that you can then put into a Capital holder as your primary collection for that specific year. some of the local dealers, maybe John-boy at Ohio Estates for starters, will have lots of sets that they'll let you look through and even used Capital holders they'll sell you. just make sure you buy something every time and you'll get more and more access.

I'm retired now and we're not that far from each other so if you need help or want to travel to a show together just send me a PM. I know most of the local guys on the "circuit" and had pretty good working relationships with most of them. it could be fun for us both once the dark cloud we're under rises. B)

Keets offers very sound advice.

I have collected in this area in the manner Keets describes and have had a lot of fun doing so.

As time goes by your collection of this 21 year run of proof and SMS coinage will grow until it is complete. During the time that you are completing the set you will also upgrade. When you complete the set you will then enter the "upgrade only phase" which will continue until you stop collecting in this niche area.

As time passes your collection will get better and better, both in quality and in eye appeal.

I would have never thought of this way of collecting these coins in this fashion. That could be alot of fun.

God only knows then coin stores reopen.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

I think Proof Jeffersons are among the most beautiful modern coins there are. By the way any '57 Lincoln with good contrast is also difficult to find and should be considered a key date after the '51, '52 and 1950 proof cents. Mine is nearly perfect but not ultra heavy contrast.

Sharp looking coin.

RE: 1957 and 1958 Proof Jefferson Nickels.

I have often wondered why it is so hard to find these coins in the typical Cameo contrasted state that the Mint had finally sort of perfected. I have a theory or line of thought that is simple --- the Mint worker(s) who were responsible for preparing and re-working the dies quit/fired/retired/died. that seems logical if we consider each time that the Mint had to "re-learn" the process of achieving the Cameo surfaces which highlight the art of Minting --- 1936 and again in 1950.

there have been several threads about the appearance of 1950 Proof coins, and with Nickels the steady improvement until 1955, when it seems that the process had been developed that could be repeated. that year alone has as many coins graded DCAM by PCGS as the previous years 1950-1954, then in 156-1958 the numbers dwindled. the year 1959 saw higher numbers again.

For those interested in looking at photographs of high quality 1950-1970 proof and SMS coinage that can be collected from raw examples of these coins found in the wild, take a look at Modcrewman's Registry Sets of these coins.

Most of the coins in his Registry Sets were acquired raw.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a set of 1950-1964 Jefferson Proofs. Its retired and the coins were all sold off as I moved to $2.50 Liberty's. I owned the 1957 PCGS DCAM 66 illustrated here. My 1958 was a PCGS CAM 68. I have lost track of the series but the 1957 was indeed tough for PCGS DCAM's.

One of these days have to take up this era of proof coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file