Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

No Longer a Virgin! I just bought my first Paper Money/Currency!

I've been very heavy into coin collecting for decades, but I just read an article in the current April Coin World monthly. On page 136 they had a very interesting article on the "Bob Hope" 50 Cent Note. It caught my fancy, so I just purchased my first "Currency", although it was graded "Across the Street" - Gem Uncirculated 65 EPQ.

I paid $200 plus shipping. I wasn't expecting a bargain, but I hope that's a fair price.

Stay safe, and have a nice weekend!
Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Nice note!....and you did ok.The average price for that note in that grade is approximately $150-$200.So,you're at the top end price-wise but you certainly didn't get taken in any way.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool. Its neat to get into that. Im waiting to get anote like that at a show

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @winesteven

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Last November I got back into currency and I am doing fractionals. $200 for that note in my opinion is a great deal. I have the exact same note and I paid $220, I feel good at that price. Be careful, the fractionals can be addicting!

Then there’s the 4th series... >:)

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Then there’s the 4th series... >:)

But he doesn't look like "Bob Hope", although he looks like one of the "Smith Brothers" from the cough drops from when I was a kid - 5 cents for the box from the candy store!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

That Stanton note is one of my favorites, then there's Abe: B)

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I've been very heavy into coin collecting for decades, but I just read an article in the current April Coin World monthly. On page 136 they had a very interesting article on the "Bob Hope" 50 Cent Note. It caught my fancy, so I just purchased my first "Currency", although it was graded "Across the Street" - Gem Uncirculated 65 EPQ.

I love it!!! ...for 2 reasons...1. It's a great fractional and 2. a new convert to fractionals!!! It's a wonderful note...decide how you want to collect them...type set, by issue...etc...great pieces of history and beautiful

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice note, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

Sweet note, and good call going for a fractional! I think they're bargains compared to their integer denominated contemporaries.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good by picking up an excellent first note in 65 G U. Examining a high quality note is always enjoyable. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice note!

30 years ago, I was in a stamp collecting shop (not many around these days). I stumbled onto a 1st issue 5c note...it just looked like a Jefferson stamp just pasted onto something. When I realized that it was actually an engraved piece of fractional currency and still was legal tender, I became fascinated. That led me to investigate the history and design of these little wonders. My stamp collecting stopped a little after that and I went to fractionals and paper money...have never looked back....so many varieties, so many ways to collect...try it!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2020 11:41PM

OK, forgive my ignorance but why is it called a Bob Hope not?

That guy on there sure doesn't look like Bob Hope,,,,, not even a little bit IMHO,,,,,

GrandAm :)
    edited May 28, 2020 3:46AM

@GRANDAM said:
    OK, forgive my ignorance but why is it called a Bob Hope not?

That guy on there sure doesn't look like Bob Hope,,,,, not even a little bit IMHO,,,,,

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, I just don’t see it,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)