Home Q & A Forum

Double stamps and general errors

I'm new to collecting and really just need a mentor to help out with basically every aspect of collecting,I don't want to get stuck just collecting coins with errors but once I start looking for such things I spend hours doing nothing else

Tagged:

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatics does involve multi-tasking and I find myself attracted to various interesting coins as my study of coins expands exponentially. There's a lot of great info and knowledge being shared here. Be prepared to save links. Have fun.
    Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Stick around there is plenty to learn here and some great folks to help you along the way.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2020 6:26PM

Buy a copy of A GuIdebook of United States Coins by Yoeman. The price guide isnt great but it's filled with a lot of basic info on U.S. Coins. The best $10-15 you'll spend on this hobby. If you can find an old copy at one of the outlet bargain stores for a couple buckd, grab it

If you're interested in errors, try to learn as much about the minting process as possible. Try these sites for info

WWW.error-ref.com
    Www.doubleddie.com

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrbarnes1964 said:
    but once I start looking for such things I spend hours doing nothing else

That won't change. :)

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL,
    First get a note from your significant other.
    Cool.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 6:20PM

My advice is to read (almost) every thread here. Lots of it won't make sense to you at first but you'll learn along the way.

A lot of new posters just post threads with questions and never read other threads. There have been some very generous giveaways over the past few years, including free gold coins, and I am amazed at the number of new members who don't participate.

You asked about "double stamps"...there is no such thing.

Doubled dies appear on specific dates/mint marks. It is a waste of time (in my opinion) to search all coins for this error rather than focus on those dates/mm that are known to have doubled dies

A double struck coin is one that was struck twice in the press. They are very rare but can happen on any coin. I found one myself in a roll of new nickeks.