Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Original?

When you guys are buying raw from photos, what do you look for when judging if coin is original or has been messed with? How do you determine if coin has been cleaned? How do you differentiate between hairlines from polishing vs marks from circulation? What say you about this one?

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm not sure because of poor quality photos, or if I think the brightness, contrast etc has been manipulated, I stay away from that coin.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your specific question.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fails to get the coinkat original surfaces designation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tops of the letters look rounded to me, but what do i know. ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fuzzy is as fuzzy does. Gonna need better than that. I bet you can find more info on that particular coin using the Google. Decent image at en.ucoin.net is an indication that Ms. Fuzzy is worn and not Unc. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

The fuzzy pictures could be hiding a lot. What concerns me most is the difference in texture between the protected areas around the lettering, and the open fields. I also think I see hairlines on the lower portrait.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing on this image to indicate it is not original. Coins of this age are virtually ever found "original." Most circulated coins (as this on) have hairlines = NORMAL. You'll need to learn the difference between random hairlines, just a patch, continuous hlns, and "market acceptability. Rounded relief is found on "original" circulated coins and on the different degrees of buffing. Again. it is up to you to learn the difference. When buying from an image, assume that it is the best way the coin can be presented. They often go down when in hand.

In summation. a coin's originality is a subjective thing from an image. I'd be happy to add that coin to my collection as a commercial XF/AU if it was priced right.

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. Not a very expensive coin, so I think I'll roll the dice. Will let you know how it turns out. If it grades at least EF, I'll be in the green. If not, it will be a good learning experience. :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it looked ok from the picture...

Coin arrived from Spain today. My photography is probably worse than the sellers, but the coin is pretty much what I expected. What's your guess on grade?

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree VF-35. However, these days, any round piece of gold with that much luster is usually considered to be XF.

Maybe it is the way this looks on my screen...but I not a fan of the surfaces

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

cleaned VF35 to maybe stretch to EF40 if not for cleaning

How do you think I did on this one? I'll post grades once I get them back from PCGS (who knows when that will be!).

The 1885 has an attractive look... How is the luster in hand?

@coinkat said:
    The 1885 has an attractive look... How is the luster in hand?

Some underlying luster, but kind of muted because of the heavy toning in spots.