Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is it better to be graded when selling?

I'm curious on the benefits of getting a 1909 S indian head penny graded or certified. Are they the same thing? What is the best way to get verification of the coin authenticity and it's value? What do you think the grading would be?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your coin should sell for about the same amount if it is graded or not. A graded one may sell a little faster and someone would buy it sight unseen if it was in one of the top 3 TPG's. It looks like your coin may be in the $300 range.

Sold listings on ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1909+s+indian+head+penny&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Options
    KristyLynnKristyLynn Posts: 7
    edited March 11, 2020 5:20PM

Top 3 TPG's?And thank you!

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2020 5:52PM

Top 3 TPGs (Third Party Grading Companies)

PCGS your host here
    NGC
    Anacs

It looks to be a decent coin to me.. I would check closed Ebay Auctions for some market values. To me? your coin looks to be a Fine (I'm not a coin grader :) ) At least that will give you a starting price IF you decide to sell it here. Hope that helps

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    A graded one may sell a little faster and someone would buy it sight unseen if it was in one of the top 3 TPG's.

As I see it (others may disagree), the above is the real benefit of grading. Some coins are commonly faked, so that also is a reason to get a coin graded (authenticated), but you can't necessarily expect to get all your grading fees (or any, in some cases) back if you grade a coin an then sell it.

What it will get you is a coin that is easier to sell, and easier to sell for its grade's value.

• Options

I APPARENTLY NEED TO LOOK INTO THE FEES FOR GRADING A COIN. THANK YOU!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 1:08AM

@KristyLynn said:
    I APPARENTLY NEED TO LOOK INTO THE FEES FOR GRADING A COIN. THANK YOU!

It will make a huge difference if you will be joining a company and sending in the one coin, vs piggy backing off of someone else's membership/order. You can run the numbers and figure out what is practical.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KristyLynn you don't have to have a membership to submit coins to Anacs... just so you know