Home PSA Set Registry Forum

A disc I hand cut, but fell a bit short of expectations

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really thought this card had a shot at a 10, a 9 for almost sure....but, it came an 8.
Comments welcome on what I could possibly have done better to have gotten at least a 9.

My process BTW, was to slowly but steadily trim away excess material. As I got closer and closer to the dotted lines, I used 320 grit sandpaper to round the disc to what you see. Crack it, or live with it???

Comments

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

The edges look good. Could the grade be due to something on the surface.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:
    The edges look good. Could the grade be due to something on the surface.

No surface issues...the graded had a bad day. I may crack it and shoot for the 9, but then of course I run the risk of either damaging the disc, or dropping to a 7.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would've been nervous cutting that, I think you did a great job. It looks perfect.

@doubledragon said:
    I would've been nervous cutting that, I think you did a great job. It looks perfect.

The key is to have sharp...not even close to not sharp scissors. Slowly, slowly spin the disc gently with two fingers while cutting closer and closer to the lines. The secret then is 320 grit sandpaper...spin, spin, spin till you think you got it. Apparently I didn't get there. Not to cry, but I have seen worse 1979 Wiffle discs with higher grades...the whole thing is subjective. I really think its a 9.

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Here's my Brock that I hand-cut with a pair of scissors ! As you can see , I was nowhere near
    as perfect as your Tiant Wiffle ! Wish I had thought of using sandpaper to smooth the
    edges ! As far as your Tiant and thinking of resubmitting ..........I would just leave it as is , and
    be satisfied with a high end 8 !!!!!
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

@Robby said:

Here's my Brock that I hand-cut with a pair of scissors ! As you can see , I was nowhere near
    as perfect as your Tiant Wiffle ! Wish I had thought of using sandpaper to smooth the
    edges ! As far as your Tiant and thinking of resubmitting ..........I would just leave it as is , and
    be satisfied with a high end 8 !!!!!
    Robbie

Yeah, you got a little close on the right side...however, if the card is important to you, I think you could crack it, get either 320 or higher grit sandpaper. Cup the sandpaper in your hand creating an arc and gently spin the disc along...sooner or later you'll tone down the edges and move up to I think at least a 7. Don't sand perpendicular to the card. After a few swipes, take a look and check progress so you'll know when to stop.

• ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

FYI here is the PSA 10.

Also be aware that when I finally convinced PSA that there were no 1976 wiffle or1977 wiffle and they changed them over to 1978 and 1979s , they mistakenly changed the 19876s over to 1979s instead of 1978s. That means the population of 1979s will forever be incorrect and too high and he pop of 1978s (the common ones available in the boxes) is way to low .

I am aware you are the guru of wiffle discs and went beyond the extra mile to correct the inaccuracies of PSA.

Care to comment on my Tiant 8 above? I was kinda surprised it didn't hit a 9...no surface issues. BTW, I used a 320 grit sandpaper to continue to smooth the edges to as round as I could make it. I'd say close to on par with your Brock, but two grades lower. For sure a very tough card to come across...as are most 79s...odd how they added "hand" to mine, must be a different time of grading these.