Home Q & A Forum
Options

Error or Variety?

Two timeless questions in numismatics, often seen on these forums are: “Is my coin an error?” and, “Is my coin a variety?” In short, an error is a mistake stemming from the method of manufacturing and can be insignificant or massive. The significance of the error can be judged on the specific mint that produced it and the tolerances that mint has for manufacturing defects, this is called “mint tolerance.” A variety is often something that has to do with the die or dies that were used to produce the coins.

Error - 1997 1C Double Denomination, Struck On 10C, PCGS MS67

Variety – 1955 1C Double Die Obverse PCGS MS65RB

Hopefully this article will clearly answer both of these questions in greater detail.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/coin-error-or-variety

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the weblink. Helpful article.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGS_SocialMedia,

Short and sweet! May we please have more of these posts so I can plagiarize them. >:)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Knowledge is power in so many ways in coin collecting. Peace

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super 1955/1955.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".