Home Q & A Forum

what does corrosion do to the grade of a coin?

I am still learning the basics of this hobby. I found this coin for sale and wondered what corrosion does to the grade of a coin. This one is encased in a generic case with a generic label that says extra fine. Its not professionally graded.

Best Answers

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our host has a photograding section. You can compare the condition of that coin against known graded coins. You'll quickly see why you need to know what EF is. IMO that corrosion is bad news for that bird. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corrosion is a significant impairment and is judged by the buyer on a case by case basis. The corrosion on this one is pretty bad, although the detail suggests that it may have been XF before it sat in the ground for a while. Once it's corroded to this degree, the value is discounted perhaps 70-90% and most buyers wouldn't want a coin this corroded at any price.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Answers

• If someone could use this coin as an example of its current condition grade vs if it were stored better and did not grow corrosion.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade isn't as relevant as the price.
    The flyer pictured above would be a $5 coin at best to me.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is to much corrosion, it would detail grade probably.

Ken