Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a Bust Dollar currently in your collection.

2»

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@WDP said:
    Here is a 1798 Draped Bust Dollar from my personal collection. Believe it or not I recently had it graded by PCGS. It was "raw" and stored in jeweler's tissue in a gray 2X2 envelope for approximately 25 years in a safe deposit box in Colorado. It is the plate coin in the first edition of the Bowers silver book published in 1993.

It now grades PCGS AU53. I paid a strong premium for on February 23, 1995 1995 when I purchased it.

BB-114? Those top 2 reverse stars crossing into the clouds and headless arrow make it a dead ringer. (I got the AU55 in that one. Yours is very nice!)

Great story on that coin @alefzero .
    I submitted several of mine raw. Takes brass balls to buy raw Bust dollars to sumit to PCGS.

• Options

Imagine carrying 4 Bust dollars in your pocket back in the day. Saggy pants and ripped pockets. lol

I love the lettered edge. MS Liberty is the most attractive woman on a coin imho
    My wife couldn't believe the low cut booby cleavage. She said things were way conservative back then to be showing that much skin.
    Beautful coins everyone!! Real high grade power coins also posted. Thank you for sharing your coin images. I've learned a lot just looking at them, sure others have to.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:

@alefzero said:

@WDP said:
    Here is a 1798 Draped Bust Dollar from my personal collection. Believe it or not I recently had it graded by PCGS. It was "raw" and stored in jeweler's tissue in a gray 2X2 envelope for approximately 25 years in a safe deposit box in Colorado. It is the plate coin in the first edition of the Bowers silver book published in 1993.

It now grades PCGS AU53. I paid a strong premium for on February 23, 1995 1995 when I purchased it.

BB-114? Those top 2 reverse stars crossing into the clouds and headless arrow make it a dead ringer. (I got the AU55 in that one. Yours is very nice!)

Great story on that coin @alefzero .
    I submitted several of mine raw. Takes brass balls to buy raw Bust dollars to sumit to PCGS.

The story was David's. I was replying to it. Yeah, it is tough to find raw bust dollars suitable for grading. They are still out there among the collections of stubborn old guys who still assemble sets in albums.

• Options

Very tough finding gradable Bust dollars @.alefzero . So many problem raw coins left over on the market. Two of the raw Bust dollars I bought as fine and graded VF25 at PCGS. Both were purchased from a local coin shop who bought them from old collections.
    PCGS gives a little wider grading birth on these 1700 early 1800 coins, when it come to small "problems" with these coins. PCGS had this stated this in the PCGS grading standards. I tend to agree with PCGS on this.

• Options

@WDP said:
    @alefzero posted, BB-114? Those top 2 reverse stars crossing into the clouds and headless arrow make it a dead ringer. (I got the AU55 in that one. Yours is very nice!)

Thanks @alefzero. AU55 is a good grade for 1798 BB-114, B-26 and likely is in the condition census for the die marriage.

My 1798 Dollar (photo below) was struck from the 1798 BB-123, B-25 die marriage, the so-called "Blundered Stars Reverse." The two reverses have many similarities, and the color plates in the second edition of the Bowers book sometimes make it hard to attribute from (at least for me).

Super cool!

Two reverse stars are all up in the clouds @WDP .

• Options

@WDP said:
    @alefzero posted, BB-114? Those top 2 reverse stars crossing into the clouds and headless arrow make it a dead ringer. (I got the AU55 in that one. Yours is very nice!)

Thanks @alefzero. AU55 is a good grade for 1798 BB-114, B-26 and likely is in the condition census for the die marriage.

My 1798 Dollar (photo below) was struck from the 1798 BB-123, B-25 die marriage, the so-called "Blundered Stars Reverse." The two reverses have many similarities, and the color plates in the second edition of the Bowers book sometimes make it hard to attribute from (at least for me).

Interesting. Those two reverse are really, really close.

I like to use Reiver's book for a quick perusal to eliminate and confirm possible matches quickly enough before digging into the details. You are right on the Bowers book, though I prefer using his attribution numbering. Coinfacts is a big help in looking at details of well imaged specimens for final confirmations unless there are die state irrefutable markers.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you that the Reiver book can be "quicker." It's also lighter and thus easier to carry and use at a show!

Has anyone ever had trouble attributing early dollars using the Reiver book?

The reason I asked is the following. Jules Reiver had most of the early dollar die marriages, but to save time on the book he used only one photo for each die, meaning if a die was used say seven times like the obverse die was for 1798 B26, B27, B28, B29, B30, B31, and B33, he used the same obverse photo for all seven die marriages (see pages 50-55 in The United States Early Silver Dollars 1794 to 1803 by Jules Reiver). This sometimes makes it hard to verify a die marriage attribution as most of the obverse die stages for these seven die marriages look a little different as the die was used and became worn, damaged, lapped, and especially as the die broke. The obverse photo for 1798 B-29, BB-119 appears to be the obverse plate in the Reiver book.

The same holds for the multiple use of reverse dies, for example 1798 B-24 (BB124), 1798 B-25 (BB-123), and 1799 B15 (BB152) which all share a common reverse.

The second edition of the Bowers book uses obverse and reverse photos that are taken for each die marriage. The first edition of the book does have a few "composite" photos as some marriages were so rare that they didn't have a photo of the coins.

I have an use all these books for different reasons and also have all editions of the Bolender book.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget about http://earlydollars.org/wizardhome.htm for attributing these.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 5:26PM

Here is another 1798 Dollar from my collection. This coin was also "raw" and was also recently graded along with the 1798 B-25, BB123 Dollar I posted above / earlier. This coin is struck from the B-28, BB-118 die marriage.

I purchased this coin September 5, 1995 in a B&M Auction Sale. At the time I cracked it out of the holder it was in and wrapped it in tissue paper and a 2X2 paper envelope where it rested for the next two and a half decades.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options

@WDP said:
    Here is another 1798 Dollar from my collection. This coin was also "raw" and was also recently graded along with the 1798 B-25, BB123 Dollar I posted above / earlier. This coin is struck from the B-28, BB-118 die marriage.

I purchased this coin September 5, 1995 in a B&M Auction Sale. At the time I cracked it out of the holder it was in and wrapped it in tissue paper and a 2X2 paper envelope where it rested for the next two and a half decades.
    )

Nice early die state. The later state, with the reverse cud, is trivial to attribute. Not as quick on that one, especially with that reused obverse die.

• Options

@WDP said:

I could only imagine unwrapping the tissue paper.and seeing that coin.
    Hope you got to keep the paper envelope and tissue @WPD .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file