Home Q & A Forum
Options

What do they mean?

I'm reading a book called the complete illustrated guide to coin collecting. They say " generally speaking, a good decreasing solvent will work wonders in removing surface grime. A drop or two of good quality lighter fuel on the surface of the coin, gently wipe off with a very soft cloth, will remove all of or most of the dirt." Beforehand they are talking about human hands oil. My question is, what is lighter fuel? I found 3 different types listed in wikki.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 11:31AM

"My question is, what is lighter fuel?"

It is the fuel/fluid that is commonly used in Zippo lighters.

I would not recommend it for cleaning coins. Hot water, acetone or Isopropyl alcohol would be better.

Edited to add: Don't wipe your coins while cleaning.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

How old is that book? :#

• Options

The complete illustrated guide to coin collecting 2007.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that is new enough that I would not expect to see that sort of advice. But what do I know. :D

In general, the age of a book can be very significant since acceptable methods, trends, and even known varieties can change or be missing. The topic reminds me of a book I have: "The Modern Practice of Photography"....printed in the 1850s. :o

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone good. Wiping bad! Gentle pat of coin surface with acetone soaked qtip is doable. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall