Home Q & A Forum

Wheat Pennies

How do I store wheat pennies. None are key dates and I really don’t want to picture them and put into a software program. Or do I just get rid of them.

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what you have.

Common bulk wheaties from the 40s and 50s can go in bags, rolls, or coin tubes. Nicer ones or the slightly better dates can go in 2x2s. That's what I did with mine. Getting rid of them, especially the common stuff is certainly an option.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • I have removed all the S minted coins. And I have a few dates from 1910 up. So would you take the better condition coins and put in flips.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just roll them up and save them. I'm still not sure why I save them though.

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I just roll them up and save them. I'm still not sure why I save them though.

Same here....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were me I would get rid of them.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still save them when received in change. Reminds me of my youth when pulled them from circulation back then.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too save early S mm wheaties in tubes. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or think of it this way..If you could buy a couple of coins you want or need for a set, get rid of them. They are holding up your cash flow and preventing you from being a collector verses just another hoarder of wheat cents which we are all compelled to hang on to for some reason. JMHO

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions on the best way to sell them?
    Seems like you'd get killed on the shipping relative to the value?
    Yes, I know the value is relatively low, but if I can only net slightly over 1c each, I'd just assume keep them.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown