Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Got these mixed foreign coins for free from my bank.

Are any of these worth possibly worth more than face value?

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are all modern spendable currency

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maserati27 .

Go here to look them up

Www.numista.com

It will be a good learning opportunity. Between that site and googling the legends you should be able ID all of them (the Japanese one may be tricky to search)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Japanese 10 yen coin is actually pretty nice, though probably not worth much more than face value.

In any case, it is from 1954, and is in much better shape than one from that era that you might occasionally pull from circulation. Also, it should have a reeded edge, a feature that was discontinued on these coins about 60 years ago!

Higashiyama
  • Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    @Maserati27 .

Go here to look them up

Www.numista.com

It will be a good learning opportunity. Between that site and googling the legends you should be able ID all of them (the Japanese one may be tricky to search)

@Higashiyama said:
    The Japanese 10 yen coin is actually pretty nice, though probably not worth much more than face value.

In any case, it is from 1954, and is in much better shape than one from that era that you might occasionally pull from circulation. Also, it should have a reeded edge, a feature that was discontinued on these coins about 60 years ago!

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!
    😎

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a generous bank!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

While it may sound like a great "find" of sorts, modern circulated foreign is essentially worthless unless you can actually spend it in the country of origin. "Stuff" like you received is bought and sold by coin dealers by the pound. The coins are not worth bothering with on an individual basis.

Yes, if you are wondering, I do have a container where I put such coins I receive (mostly from Coinstar reject slots). Don't ask me why I bother keeping them I might think about it.

All glory is fleeting.