Home Sports Talk

Which national sports announcer/commentator imparts the most sports knowledge?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tie: Charles Barkley and Kenny 'the jet' Smith

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about knowledge, but Jim Nantz has the most relaxing voice, and whenever I listen to him, I just want to put on my fuzzy slippers, and relax with a cup of hot cocoa.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those slippers are the cat's meow.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vin Scully...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@hammer1 said:
    Those slippers are the cat's meow.

Don't make me break out my pink robe. ;)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo is a great teacher.

edited February 9, 2020 8:04AM

I like listening to Charles Davis broadcast on fox, he is very knowledgeable about the game of football, and has a great personality.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Keith Jackson: knowledge of several sports
    John Madden: entertaining

edited February 10, 2020 6:09AM

Cris Collinsworth, Troy Aikman, and Dan Fouts are also three of my favorites.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Kills me to say it but Romo is great at explaining what's going on and has that knack for knowing and telling you when a certain play is coming. The prior QB's all for the most part provide great insight, Aikman, Simms, Fouts (when he was announcing) etc.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Collinsworth and Al Michaels I’ve always liked, Buck and Aikman too. Romo annoys me sometimes when there is a close call and he changes his voice lol but other than that he dissects plays better than anyone Ive seen, if he put his knowledge of the plays into his own play he would have won multiple Super Bowls lol

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Collinsworth and Al Michaels I’ve always liked, Buck and Aikman too. Romo annoys me sometimes when there is a close call and he changes his voice lol but other than that he dissects plays better than anyone Ive seen, if he put his knowledge of the plays into his own play he would have won multiple Super Bowls lol

I remember Cris Collinsworth used to be at Fox, and then went to NBC for SNF when John Madden retired from broadcasting. I miss John Madden. I still don't know why CBS replaced Phil Simms with Tony Romo. I remember Simms used to call games with Jim Nance.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 1:39PM

@perkdog said:

Romo annoys me sometimes when there is a close call and he changes his voice lol but other than that he dissects plays better than anyone Ive seen, if he put his knowledge of the plays into his own play he would have won multiple Super Bowls lol

@perkdog I think you know that I live in the Dallas area. I followed Romo's career pretty closely. As an undrafted free agent he did okay for himself. :D His football acumen took a while to peak, and by the time it did he was literally using a walker to get around sometimes due to his back injuries.

In my opinion, a healthy Romo at the end of his career would have been the guy who put it all together in miraculous fashion. Lucky for us, we atleast get to learn from him on TV instead.

Edited for clarity...

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

John Madden was the best of all time in my opinion. Now it has to be Bob Costas.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)