Home Sports Talk

One Game...Winner Take All...Which of these guys...

AT THEIR BEST, on the road, Game 7, tired bullpen...who's your starting pitcher
(I am aware there are MANY other guys from the 70's/80's that could be here...but this is your staff)

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm taking Mad Dog. He could carve home plate up like crazy, plus he was the best fielder at his position that I've ever seen.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedro Martinez....a write in for your post.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Pedro Martinez....a write in for your post.

Lol. But, again, he's not on this staff.
    It's funny, I would likely pick Pedro as well--at his best. But he's not available.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm taking Mad Dog. He could carve home plate up like crazy, plus he was the best fielder at his position that I've ever seen.

Maddux was unbelievable, for sure. Would you be concerned about your tired bullpen, or would you figure he'd throw one of his 2 hour, 85-pitch masterpieces?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

That was exactly what I was thinking before I even read your post.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:

@doubledragon said:

Maddux was unbelievable, for sure. Would you be concerned about your tired bullpen, or would you figure he'd throw one of his 2 hour, 85-pitch masterpieces?

I would be a little concerned, but they call him Mad Dog for a reason. He was intense when he took the mound. ;)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really couldn't go wrong with any of these. But in this case I would pick Palmer. He was big and strong and would go very deep in the game and probably do a complete game for you.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

I'd take Tom Terrific. Plenty of complete games, 61 shut outs, strikeouts galore.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carlton if I needed a left hander, Seaver if I needed a righty.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 1:59PM

Maddux

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Carlton if I needed a left hander, Seaver if I needed a righty.

I feel the same way. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Carlton. Just let him put in his ear plugs and go out and win your game. Also, I'm partial to lefties.
    I'd worry a little about Maddux. In today's strike zone, the edges have been called a lot tighter and hitters have become adept at fouling off pitches. I know that he could hit a dot wherever you put it, but I feel he would be more prone to not being able to finish the game off. For that reason, I'd take Seaver as my righty before Maddux.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Koufax

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread really makes me miss the days of a pitcher starting the game with the intent, and possibility, of finishing the game.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 6:22PM

Accidental double post.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I get the pitcher as he was in very best season, I think I'd take Guidry.

If I'm getting the pitcher as he was, on average, over the course of his career, I'd take Maddux.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Carlton won 27 games on a Phillies team that was the worst in baseball (I think 56 total wins), yet their win % on the days he started was the best in baseball.