Home Sports Talk

Never go to a young dentist

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young dentists have made more mistakes on me than I care to recollect. They need a minimum of 10 years of experience.

Young MD's are okay, not great, but okay.

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people Living in border states (Ca,Az,Tx) go to Mexico for dental care to save money.

:o

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually enjoy getting my teeth cleaned, my insurance covers 2 and I pay out of pocket for a 3rd. The only issues I have with dentist offices are they are like used car salesmen, they tell you that you “Need” stuff done and the cost is quoted for thousands of dollars 🙄

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a wisdom tooth pulled in the Army by a young 2nd Lt. He pulled and pulled lifting me out of my chair. Had is foot on the arm of the chair to get MORE leverage. This went on for a half hour or more. He then stepped back exausted(sp) and said I think I am going to have to break it in two to get that sucker out. He then proceeded to drill 3 holes across the middle of the tooth. At this point I was wishing that someone would come in and shoot one of us......didn't really care which one! Then he went in the other room and I heard him going through what sounded like a tool box. Sure enough he came back with a chisel and a hammer. With my jaw hanging down to my shoulder I said what are you going to do with those! He said I have to break the tooth into two pieces! At this point I want to run, but was to worn out. He put his foot on the arm of the chair....put the chisel across the 3 holes he drilled and start to bang away! After what seem like 20-30 hits on the chisel with the hammer he stopped and said....lets see if that sucker is broke yet. He tried to pull on the pieces and no go. He then said maybe I should drill those holes deeper! At this point I am thinking I am not going to live through this. He proceeded to drill the holes deeper until he hit a nerve at which time I jumped up and grabbed his arm and said that is deep enough. So he then started pulling again and got one of the halves out. He held it up and said there we are half done. I forget what I said or if I could even talk at this point. He then went back in and started pulling on the other half! After about 5 minutes of twisting and pulling the other have came out. He then held that up and said there all done....that wasn't so bad! If I would have had a gun I think I would have shot him!!

Usually it only takes a day or so to get over a pulled tooth, but my mouth was sore for weeks.....plus there was a tare in the corner of my mouth from all the forced pulling.

Not a fun time a the Dentist! :o

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

my dad is a retired dentist. if you needed nitrous oxide to complete the mission he was not the one to go to, because that was not an option. in fact, it isn't/wasn't an alternative with my current dentist, my orthodontist (i had braces), or my endodontist (i once had a root canal). because it's been oral injections all the time, i honestly got to the point where i likened laughing gas to the gas chamber........something that is now obsolete.

or maybe it's just because it's needles........and it's Texas ;)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate when they stick the needle full of novocaine into your gums. That needle hurts like crazy when they slide it into your gums. It hurt so bad it made my eyes water.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I had a wisdom tooth pulled in the Army by a young 2nd Lt. He pulled and pulled lifting me out of my chair. Had is foot on the arm of the chair to get MORE leverage. This went on for a half hour or more. He then stepped back exausted(sp) and said I think I am going to have to break it in two to get that sucker out. He then proceeded to drill 3 holes across the middle of the tooth. At this point I was wishing that someone would come in and shoot one of us......didn't really care which one! Then he went in the other room and I heard him going through what sounded like a tool box. Sure enough he came back with a chisel and a hammer. With my jaw hanging down to my shoulder I said what are you going to do with those! He said I have to break the tooth into two pieces! At this point I want to run, but was to worn out. He put his foot on the arm of the chair....put the chisel across the 3 holes he drilled and start to bang away! After what seem like 20-30 hits on the chisel with the hammer he stopped and said....lets see if that sucker is broke yet. He tried to pull on the pieces and no go. He then said maybe I should drill those holes deeper! At this point I am thinking I am not going to live through this. He proceeded to drill the holes deeper until he hit a nerve at which time I jumped up and grabbed his arm and said that is deep enough. So he then started pulling again and got one of the halves out. He held it up and said there we are half done. I forget what I said or if I could even talk at this point. He then went back in and started pulling on the other half! After about 5 minutes of twisting and pulling the other have came out. He then held that up and said there all done....that wasn't so bad! If I would have had a gun I think I would have shot him!!

Usually it only takes a day or so to get over a pulled tooth, but my mouth was sore for weeks.....plus there was a tare in the corner of my mouth from all the forced pulling.

Not a fun time a the Dentist! :o

I have a few dentist stories. The last one was an old guy. He pulled a wisdom tooth and sent me home to bleed to death. Went through two boxes of gauze before returning to the dental office. Thank God I had gone in early that day. He worked on me for a bit under an hour before he got the bleeding under control.

My jaw was sore for several days.

He had been my dentist for a few years. Never went back to him.

@perkdog said:
    I actually enjoy getting my teeth cleaned, my insurance covers 2 and I pay out of pocket for a 3rd. The only issues I have with dentist offices are they are like used car salesmen, they tell you that you “Need” stuff done and the cost is quoted for thousands of dollars 🙄

20 years ago, I broke a tooth, got it fixed, it broke, got a crown and root canal, lasted a while, it fell out and ended up needing an implant. Price then was $1500.00 out of pocket, couldn't afford it then. Now the price is $3000.00 WTF?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

you must live somewhere with cheap dentists implants are over 5000 here. screw that dental work left me with a ringing in one ear if I had a do over I'd pull them every time no more root canals crowns whatnot

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the dentist bills are too high, I might have to visit a cheaper dentist....

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 12:59PM

I had a back tooth they wanted to do all this nonsense to that was going to cost a few grand, I’m like “Pull it” and they told they didn’t want to ect.. I told them I didn’t care what they wanted, pull it or I will go to someone who will pull it. Guess what? They pulled it

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 5:51PM

My 30-something dentist is great. His wife is also a dentist. They both have their own practices. They drive really nice cars.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    you must live somewhere with cheap dentists implants are over 5000 here. screw that dental work left me with a ringing in one ear if I had a do over I'd pull them every time no more root canals crowns whatnot

Not cheap enough.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 7:24PM

@bronco2078 said:
    screw that dental work left me with a ringing in one ear

the "phones ringing" cost extra here.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a few good ones and bad ones.
    Really liked one years ago. I didn't have insurance so he would let me make payments.

I can still remember him saying, "Jay....I'm not gonna lie to you. This is gonna hurt like hell.'

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets