Home Sports Talk

Have you ever had any surgery?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a year ago I had a gallbladder attack that was so agonizing that I was forced to call 911 and wait for an ambulance to pick me up and take me to the hospital. It hurt so bad that I could barely move. Once I got to the hospital, they examined me, and determined my gall bladder had to be removed. It was the first time I've ever had surgery. The bill I received later was worse than the gallbladder attack. Has anyone ever had surgery of any kind?

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only LASIK. Thank God. 🙏

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

No surgery but I had 100% heart blockage in 2016 and had a stent installed. That didn't fix the problem so they added another in 2018. I must have nitro with me at all times and carry a card so medical people will know the details in case of emergency. My wife has had so many surgeries I lost count. She manages to stay alive because she has to take care of me. I manage to stay alive because I need to take care of her. When one of us goes I expect the other will follow shortly.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some awaiting me in the future. <3

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup...last year I had a heart catheterization and a heart ablation. Both will seriously perk your ears up when you hear what's coming!!

The catheterization was done through a vein in my right wrist...imagine, all the way to my heart from my wrist!! Heart was strong, no blockages...I was kinda zonked and only felt the surgeons fingers near my wrist...barely.

The ablation is a whole different deal. They went through my groin...yup, down there!! I was on the operating table for right at 3 hours, WIDE AWAKE, with only local anesthesia. The worst part is that I was bound to the table, leather straps like big belts tied my wrists and ankles to the table. Me, with pretty intense claustrophobia from having been stuck in an elevator once...I almost told them to get me out of the O/R, but knew I had to tough it out. May I never endure that again!!! The rationale is that if I moved, I would then be in for a pace maker, as the surgeon was literally probing inside my heart to eliminate electrical pulses that were causing me "issues". In recovery, I had to lay relatively still for another 3 hours to avoid blood clots. I don't think I can find the words to tell you how fun that was, I heard every word the surgeon said, and those around me who were there to assist.
    Best words I heard..."we're finished" B)B)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

^Reading this my BP went to 185/110. Pulse 110.

Palms still sweaty.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I broke my back (for the 2nd time) in 2012. During the surgery, the anesthesia wore off, and I woke up, just enough to be able to hear and feel the surgeon using a mallet on the offended three vertabrae. I was still paralyzed from the anesthetic, and couldn't say anything, but could definitely hear and feel it going on.

Steve

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Tonsils removed when I was 10
    2) Appendix removed when I was 16
    3) Broke ankle, had plates installed when I was 43
    4) Macular hole (retina issue) repaired when I was 60

Yes, I’m still standing somehow!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
    edited January 29, 2020 9:06PM

how do I look away from this thread?> @SDSportsFan said:

Yes. I broke my back (for the 2nd time) in 2012. During the surgery, the anesthesia wore off, and I woke up, just enough to be able to hear and feel the surgeon using a mallet on the offended three vertabrae. I was still paralyzed from the anesthetic, and couldn't say anything, but could definitely hear and feel it going on.

Steve

Can't top that nightmare.

I've always had a terrible gag reflex, Never let a doctor use a tongue depressor to examine me. Feel like I have to throw up.

Had an endoscopy (tube with camera down your throat to look into the stomach). Right in the middle of the procedure I woke up from the anesthesia feeling this contraption halfway to my stomach. I tried yelling. They must have seen the look of terror in my eyes, and knocked me out.

Also scary incident with laughing gas at the dentist. Nurse puts the mask on, and starts the nitrous oxide. Few minutes later she asks if I'm feeling drowsy. I say no. This goes on 3 more times, each time she's turning up the nitrous oxide. I pass completely out. While out I see myself on the floor dead, and the dr trying to revive me.

I woke up in the chair with all the dental staff 2' from my face, asking, are you all right?

Dentist said in dental school they get a student to volunteer to be OD on the nitrous oxide. I thought, yeah right.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

About 35 yrs ago. Hadn't been feeling well so went to doctor to get checked out. Passed out in the waiting room. Checked me out and found I had low white count. They thought I had Hodgkins lymphoma. Next was a visit to oncologist who after several visits, determined that I had some rare type of virus that settled into one of my lymph glands. Told me that it had to come out immediately and there was a good chance I'd be fine. I just knew he was lying to me and that I was not long for this world. Had the operation and removed that lymph gland. My white count gradually increased after the surgery and have been fine ever since with no recurrence. Those 3 months between the original diagnosis and the time after the surgery were the worst 3 months of my life.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife has had so much more that me that I am almost ashamed to list mine.

Tonsils out at 11.

Then 5 years ago I had two sists and a huge stone removed from my bladder........you know the route they take for that!! :|

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW. After my heart procedures I asked the Doc about continuing my sex life. He said "Only with your wife. We don't want you getting excited."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was 36 I came off a ladder the fast way and ended up with a Homolateral Lisfranc Fracture/Dislocation of all 5 metatarsals. I ended up with three seperate surgeries to repair. The initial surgery to repair the dislocations and install screws. then i got a staph infection from the hospital and required a debreedment surgery and 8 weeks of intraveinous antibiotics through the central line they inserted into my right arm and snaked its way down to just above my heart.

I think the central line was the worst part to endure. fully awake for the insertion. took an hour to get that thing to where it needed to go. glad it is over.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 years and two surgeries on a broken ankle. Nearly had to have a third surgery. Lost my job too. That did turn out to be a blessing though.

Thankfully it happened on the job, and was covered. Of course had to sue worthless scum insurance company. Tried to send me back to work after first (failed) surgery.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think the central line was the worst part to endure. fully awake for the insertion. took an hour to get that thing to where it needed to go. glad it is over.

I've had surgery, and I've also had a central line inserted. Those people that are unfamiliar don't fully appreciate what it entails to get those tubes into the body and to the heart, whether it's through the arm or groin...

The person doing the inserting looks like this...

Meanwhile, I'm sure my expression was like this...

The "needle" has to be large enough to thread an IV tube through the opening and into the vein. I always refer to the Gilligan episode as a way to approximate scale. It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

I am also absolutely sure that I woke up from anesthesia in the middle of surgery, although at no point did I feel any pain. I could see and hear everything taking place for a short period of time before I was put back under. While in recovery, I mentioned this to the surgeon and other staff, and they all assured me that it was impossible, that it definitely didn't happen (likely for liability purposes). I could tell in their body language, though, that they were taken aback by my recounting of their conversations and even what radio station that was playing quietly in the background as they worked. I've had others suggest that perhaps I'd had an "out of body" experience, but I tell them that my point of view was not from above, but from my place on the operating table.

edited January 30, 2020 9:07AM

When I went in for my gallbladder to be removed, the scan also showed a gallstone stuck in the cystic duct. Dr assured me they would get it and send it to the lab. I even mentioned to the surgeon to remember the stone, just before they put me under.

When I went back for my post op visit with the surgeon, I asked how big was the stone as I saw no mention of it in any of the reports.

He said there's no lab report, because the stone must have fallen on the floor during surgery.

Fast forward a year. Pain in right side. Stone still in cystic duct.

@hammer1 said:
    When I went in for my gallbladder to be removed, the scan also showed a gallstone stuck in the cystic duct. Dr assured me they would get it and send it to the lab. I even mentioned to the surgeon to remember the stone, just before they put me under.

When I went back for my post op visit with the surgeon, I asked how big was the stone as I saw no mention of it in any of the reports.

He said there's no lab report, because the stone must have fallen on the floor during surgery.

Fast forward a year. Pain in right side. Stone still in cystic duct.

Bummer. But no surprise really.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    About a year ago I had a gallbladder attack that was so agonizing that I was forced to call 911 and wait for an ambulance to pick me up and take me to the hospital. It hurt so bad that I could barely move. Once I got to the hospital, they examined me, and determined my gall bladder had to be removed. It was the first time I've ever had surgery. The bill I received later was worse than the gallbladder attack. Has anyone ever had surgery of any kind?

I've had two surgeries:

1) ACL repair. Tore my ACL playing softball. Surgery wasn't bad, recovery took forever. Was 2 years before I felt normal.

2) Gallbladder removal - My wasn't as bad as yours. I had pain in my side, went to the urgent care. Doctor there looked at me and said "you're jaundiced, go to the ER". So I did. They determined I had gallstones and that my liver was freaking out. I was sent home and told to schedule surgery. Four days later, I was violently ill and back in the hospital. Had the surgery the next day. Immediately felt better. Turns out I had an infected gallbladder and had been sick for months without knowing it. It kind of hit home when they asked me to "fill the cup" and it was, well, the color of root beer.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

I've had two surgeries:

1) ACL repair. Tore my ACL playing softball. Surgery wasn't bad, recovery took forever. Was 2 years before I felt normal.

2) Gallbladder removal - My wasn't as bad as yours. I had pain in my side, went to the urgent care. Doctor there looked at me and said "you're jaundiced, go to the ER". So I did. They determined I had gallstones and that my liver was freaking out. I was sent home and told to schedule surgery. Four days later, I was violently ill and back in the hospital. Had the surgery the next day. Immediately felt better. Turns out I had an infected gallbladder and had been sick for months without knowing it. It kind of hit home when they asked me to "fill the cup" and it was, well, the color of root beer.

I had been having on and off pain in my side for months, but I didn't think anything of it because it would usually go away after a few minutes. Then one day the pain got really bad, and it was just unbearable and it was causing me to vomit. When I got to the hospital, they did an X-ray and told me it had to be taken out right away. When I went in for the surgery, they put something in my IV and it knocked me out cold before I even knew what hit me. I woke up in the recovery room and felt a lot better. They gave me Percocet, and I remember watching Matlock on their TV. I was just glad the pain was gone.

@doubledragon said:

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

I've had two surgeries:

I had been having on and off pain in my side for months, but I didn't think anything of it because it would usually go away after a few minutes. Then one day the pain got really bad, and it was just unbearable and it was causing me to vomit. When I got to the hospital, they did an X-ray and told me it had to be taken out right away. When I went in for the surgery, they put something in my IV and it knocked me out cold before I even knew what hit me. I woke up in the recovery room and felt a lot better. They gave me Percocet, and I remember watching Matlock on their TV. I was just glad the pain was gone.

I had percocet after my surgeries. Now I am missing almost three years of my life. WOW!