Home Sports Talk

Are you afraid of flying?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like full on John Madden and won't even get on a plane.

This is interesting :

"In the wake of the tragic death of Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven other people, a new report indicates that Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, had made a pact never to ride on a helicopter together."

https://lakersdaily.com/kobe-bryant-his-wife-made-pact-never-fly-helicopter-together/

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, at least half a million miles under my belt. Single engine or helicopter, maybe.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Nope, safer than driving IMO

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not afraid of flying but I don't like it. I find flying to be physically very uncomfortable. If the seats aren't too small, they uncomfortable. And then I almost always get sick just from the flying itself. I try to sleep the entire flight and then it takes me a good or two to acclimate after getting off the plane.

But afraid? No.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

always been very comfortable flying. Been on big Jets and puddle jumpers. longest flight was 18 hours and i was not afraid, but have never been more ready to get off an airplane!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told myself many years ago that I would never fly in a "small" airplane, a helicopter, or hot air balloon. I have kept my word. I have had the opportunities and have said no. I would go in a small plane or helicopter in a true emergency. Like I was being rescued. That would be it. There are stories of crashes everyday.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes but its because I have acquired this whole inner ear thing which doesn't happen all the time and can be very painful . I could fly fine and then the next time be miserable so I just avoid it completely now

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, love to fly. Wish I could still jump out of planes, but those days are long gone.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate flying and the whole airport experience. It is much safer to drive! Especially small airplanes. Look how many people have died due to small plane problems. In a car if you have engine problems you can pull over and fix it or get it fixed. In a plane you can kiss you a$$ goodbye!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Dimeman and have a joke for everyone who says it's safe.

Me: No, I don't fly.
    You: Why not??
    Me: Because it isn't safe.
    You: Well, everyone has to die sometime. When it's your time it's your time.
    Me: What about when it's the Pilot's time??

I just don't fly, there's nowhere I need to be that that I can't drive to.

the only thing worse than a filthy plane is a disgusting cruise ship

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

I'll drive thank you. I have been driving to FUN from Illinois for 16 years. Love it. And when I get there.......guess what.....I have a car. Hopefully I will never have to fly again!

edited January 29, 2020 12:40PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

I'll drive thank you. I have been driving to FUN from Illinois for 16 years. Love it. And when I get there.......guess what.....I have a car. Hopefully I will never have to fly again!

Thurman Munson
    Payne Stewart
    Roberto Clemente
    Richie Valens
    The Big Bopper
    Rick Nelson
    John Denver

edited January 29, 2020 1:13PM

that's off the top of my head.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flying is much safer than driving. It's not even debatable. I think this is my first time using that remark. However it is true.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I flew round trip from upstate NY to Orlando (FUN) for $165. Just a shade over 2 hours each way.

I used to love airports and flying but not so much as I get older.

TSA is a hassle and gives me anxiety.

2 days after FUN I was down and out for over a week with something nasty and I'm sure I picked it up on the plane. 🧐

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big ones? Don't care for turbulence, nor distance crammed in...14 hours from LA to Sydney was not fun!

Little ones? As long as I'm the pilot, I'm fine. Didn't care too much for some of the things I had to do to get my license, but all part of the learning process of being aware. Gotta say, flying in NH and Maine in the Fall, with endless views of foliage and being able to go wherever you want was quite a thrill! Back in the "dating days", it was pretty cool to fly the ladies around. B)

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Big ones? Don't care for turbulence, nor distance crammed in...14 hours from LA to Sydney was not fun!

Little ones? As long as I'm the pilot, I'm fine. Didn't care too much for some of the things I had to do to get my license, but all part of the learning process of being aware. Gotta say, flying in NH and Maine in the Fall, with endless views of foliage and being able to go wherever you want was quite a thrill! Back in the "dating days", it was pretty cool to fly the ladies around. B)

Hong Kong to Chicago was no fun either, 16 hours IIRC. I was ready to jump out of the plane as we were flying over AZ vs catching my connection at O'Hare.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

We all have our own opinions, but statistics say - https://fortune.com/2017/07/20/are-airplanes-safer-than-cars/

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

We all have our own opinions, but statistics say - https://fortune.com/2017/07/20/are-airplanes-safer-than-cars/

Thing is if something goes wrong which would you rather be in...…..a plane or a car? This is a NO BRAINER! Car = no problem. Plane = Kiss your A$$ goodbye.

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

Thing is if something goes wrong which would you rather be in...…..a plane or a car? This is a NO BRAINER! Car = no problem. Plane = Kiss your A$$ goodbye.

It all depends what the problem is. I've been through emergency and aborted landings before, and I'd rather go through those again than have a blowout on a busy freeway at full speed.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

Ask the 37,461 people who died in car crashes in 2016...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

Ask the 37,461 people who died in car crashes in 2016...

All that is is a per centage issue. There are way more people on the road everyday than people flying.....by a long shot.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are far more fatalities on the road than there are in the air, even on a percentage basis. It's not even debatable. If you're going to die, does it really matter how?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I'd prefer to die from old age.

Ralph

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Flying is much safer than driving. It's not even debatable. I think this is my first time using that remark. However it is true.

Technically probably true. But as I commented above, I avoid helicopters and small planes. I have no problem flying in general.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:

This is quite possibly the worst graphic ever produced. I honestly can't tell what mode of transportation is indicated by any bar and there are no references. Not even mentioning that measuring by billion miles is a horrible reference point, since no one is going to fly one mile.

@LarkinCollector said:

@3stars said:

This is quite possibly the worst graphic ever produced. I honestly can't tell what mode of transportation is indicated by any bar and there are no references. Not even mentioning that measuring by billion miles is a horrible reference point, since no one is going to fly one mile.

A lot of folks in plane crashes only fly one mile

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 6:42PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Ask:

Kobe Bryant
    Patsy Cline
    Buddy Holly
    Johnny Horton
    John Denver
    Lynard Skinner Band

The list goes on and on.

Don't forget Otis Redding. His plane crashed into Lake Monona, Wisconsin. Cause, rain and fog.
    I miss Otis, to me he was the King of Soul.

Not afraid to fly but I avoid it when possible. I love to drive.

Randi rhodes !

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really isnt debatable. planes are significantly safer. Plane crashes are so rare compared to car crashes they make a big visible splash on the headlines.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    It really isnt debatable. planes are significantly safer. Plane crashes are so rare compared to car crashes they make a big visible splash on the headlines.

This is FAKE news! There sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more people driving than flying that sure the death count is what it is. I would much rather be in control of my fate than for it to be in the hands of a Pilot flying 300 ton piece of metal 35,000 feet above ground!

NUFF SAID!!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was hard for me after 9/11 with extended family losing entire crews working on the telecommunication at the time. He was running late that day and feels guilty for living. We all hold hand when we fly still to this day.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of deaths per passenger-mile on commercial airlines in the United States between 2000 and 2010 was about 0.2 deaths per 10 billion passenger-miles. For driving, the rate was 150 per 10 billion vehicle-miles for 2000 : 750 times higher per mile than for flying in a commercial airplane.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

I love flying. Seeing the country at night and looking down...….lights miles from anywhere.
    Having the pilot bank the aircraft to see the grand canyon. Cool stuff. Seeing all the finger lakes from up there on a clear day...so cool.

My dad used to bring home business acquaintances sometimes for dinner (many years ago). One time his friend was telling us about his plane trips. 1) into boston harbor where over 50% of the passengers died and 2) another where over 70% of the passengers died into a river. He said he used up all his 9-lves and flying was done done done.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Think of all the sports teams, constantly flying to away games. It has happened but very rarely is there an accident.

Ralph

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

didn't an entire soccer team go down in S America??

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@jay0791 said:

and some were cannibalized.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@jay0791 said:

and some were cannibalized.

And the Donner Party was traveling by wagon train when many of them met the same fate.