Home Stamps Forum

Can anyone identify these old Russian stamps?

Hello,

I acquired a stamp collection from my grandfather a number of years ago and just got around to really looking through it, as it was quite extensive and I just didn't have time. I am a 30+ year coin and currency collector, so I am familiar with collecting as a hobby, however I know little to nothing about stamps...much less old stamps from all over the world.

There are some pretty good finds in there so far, and I'm only 60 percent through it. I'm finding that it's a rather interesting hobby. I wish I would have gone through all this when my pops was around to answer questions, but nevertheless...

Can anyone help me to identify these old Russian stamps. I just cant find where these are listed anywhere in these colors. The 20 should have a yellowish center, and the 10 should be blue, correct?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those two stamps are actually from Finland, which at the time, was part of the Russian Empire.

The blue one appears to be #52, value 20p, issued in 1901.

The red one appears to be either #63 or #63A, value 10p, issued in 1911-1915.
    #63 is apparently perforated 14 1/4 x 14, while # 63A is perf'd 14 1/4 x 14 3/4.

I found the above information at Stampworld.com. Once there, click on "catalogue", and then "Finland".

Steve

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your local library may have a copy of the Scott Stamp catalogs in its reference section. If they do you will be able to find most stamps that have been issued worldwide since 1840 (which is when the first stamps were issued).

All glory is fleeting.
  • lost_in_timelost_in_time Posts: 3
    edited January 15, 2020 7:25AM

Hello,

I haven't yet gone over any responses to my original post as I have spent quite a few sleepless nights pouring over this stamp collection...fascinating!

OK, I found another Russian stamp in which the coloring doesn't match the definitive examples. I will post a picture of it here, and some photos of other interesting stamps I've run across thus far. Please keep in mind that a week ago I knew nothing of stamps, so I might use some wording/phrases incorrectly; any corrections are appreciated. I am now half-way through, and frankly, I need to take a break from this for a few days. There are still many countries I have yet to go through e.g. Austria, India, China, and a host of others. Also, I really haven't gone through all my German (pop was German so there are MANY German stamps to go through still), Russian, and British etc...So who knows what remains to be uncovered! There are stamps from all kinds of places, many I've never even heard of. I just started Great Britain and reached burnout with all the watermarks and details.

If you have any info on any of these stamps it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to see a close up or ask about any of these please feel free. If you know of others that I should look for please let me know. There are so many stamps, complete sets, duplicates etc. and I don't know anyone in real life who collects, or knows about, stamps and I don't want to overlook anything that might be valuable.

So guys, round one is over with, check these out and tell me what you think. I will read all your replies and respond as soon as I am able. And I will get to round 2 when I can carve out the time.

Thanks and enjoy,
    David

P.S. I am temporarily storing the stamps in PVC free coin flips, as that's what I have at my disposal. If this is bad for the stamps then please let me know.

This another old Russian stamp with unusual coloring

ThisRussian 7 might be valuable but I cant tell.

Czech:

Canada:

German:
    Here we have an example of an imperf and perferated stamp and others of interest.

More German:

Italy:
    The 2 does not have the estero overprint.

More Italy:

Spain:

Portugal:

Cuba:

Australia:
    I believe the 1 has a vertical watermark.

Great Britian:

Sweden:

Some U.S.:
    One of the airmail stamps is the "open door" error.
    The 10 and 3's are together, still connected at the perferations
    Interesting cancelation mark "Mail early for Christmas"

Some interesting pre-cancel marks i.e. 5c postage due with inverted mark.

30c Buffalo with vertical pre-cancelation mark.

That's all I can get to for now. I really need to sit down with someone who knows what all this really is. Identifying a design is one thing, but I know nothing of condition, markings, subtle differences etc...

Thanks again

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020 8:20PM

With all due respect, I just don't get it. You ask for help but then don't bother reading the replies. You didn't have the time to read the answers already given, but you have time to post a ton of new text and photos. :#

I took the time to read the replies and you got some good feedback. ;)

P.S. - you might have fewer "sleepless nights" if you take the time to read that your "Russian" stamps are actually from Finland. :*

You are wasting time and money by putting the stamps into coin flips. In most cases the coin flips will prove to be worth a lot more than the stamps. Stamp collecting is a hobby that has been a steep decline in recent decades so your hopes of making money from this collection may prove to be wishful thinking.

All glory is fleeting.
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even back in the day most of those stamps would be in a 3 cent bin. Group them all together and sell them as a lot. Good luck.

• Finland, OK thanks.

I went out and got some albums to properly store them and the proper tools to handle them. Yes I dont have much time as I am the sole caretaker of a 3.5 year old son and I work etc...I dont have much time to be online. If that offends you someway then thats something you need to work on.

There are stamps from over 90+ countries all dated from 1841 to 1952. He stopped collecting in 1952.

To the person who thinks I'm trying to make money!?!?!? LOL, I wouldnt bother with any of this, as stamps are well known to be a dead hobby in my coin circles. I was trying to honor my grandfathers efforts the best I knew how. As a coin collector, I know I have filler pieces and key pieces of high value, but these wouldnt be apparent to a novice. I was trying to identify his key pieces in order to save them for my son.

I can see why stamp collecting is dying, you almost had a new collector, but you're rude and don't make it easy to get into it. I'll keep pops stamps for my son, I couldnt care less about selling anything.

No need to reply, I wont be back to read them.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. right. It's our fault that stamp collecting is dying. :D

Since you didn't do it, I'll say "thank you" to those who took the time to read your posts and give you honest and frank feedback.

Believe it or not, they have busy lives, too.

The advice you received in this thread was good advice. Sorry you didn't like hearing the truth.

All glory is fleeting.