Home Stamps Forum

A Bit of Trivia

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bela Lugosi, he of the 1931 classic movie "Dracula" was a stamp collector. Mainly collected Hungarian stamps. Was reading a biography about his life and movies he made when came across this bit of info.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I know that Pres. FDR was a huge stamp collector.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

So was Himmler.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamp collecting was very popular in the first half of the 20th century. Nassau Street in New York city apparently had several hundred stamps dealers during the 1930's. The last i heard, and this was a while back, only one stamp dealer remained on Nassau Street.

All glory is fleeting.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Stamp collecting was very popular in the first half of the 20th century. Nassau Street in New York city apparently had several hundred stamps dealers during the 1930's. The last i heard, and this was a while back, only one stamp dealer remained on Nassau Street.

I don’t think there’s been a stamp dealer on Nassau St for at least 30 years. Probably more. Even the hardware store around the corner on Park Row closed down. I remember buying locks from them in 97 for my new house and it was odd to have them there back then.

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamp Collecting was made for the internet. Scanners, computers, web sites, ease of buying and selling, ease of mailing...it's all there. The same can be said for a lot of other collectibles. Just my two cents...take care...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, somewhere on the internet there may actually be a stamp buyer! >:)

All glory is fleeting.