Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

$100 Dansco 7070

I have been out of actively collecting for a good number of years since my previous collection was stolen (Army PCS move, nothing was covered, long story). So outside of stacking a little silver and the occasional coin received as a gift, I just have not been motivated to devote much time or money into collecting. Now that I have retired from the Army and settled into a regular job, I’m starting to get to collecting itch again. I have always been a bit of an eclectic collector to begin with and I have always liked the Dansco 7070, so this seems like a great way to get back into the hobby. Also, maybe while working on it one series or another will catch my eye and I can focus on them next. I’ll never have the resources to have a top set, so I decided to make up my own challenge.

My goal is to complete a 7070 (no gold) with the following stipulations:
1. $100 max per coin.
2. All PCGS graded.
3. No problem coins (cleaned, damaged etc.).
4. Best possible grade per type (condition over rarity).
5. Coin be in good enough condition as to not look a washer in a slab.

Clearly, some of these coins will be much more challenging than others, but I was wondering if this was a realistic goal to set for myself. Also, which coin(s) do you feel with be the most difficult to find?

OldGold

OG
Tagged:

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never tried to look for coins that would fit into the parameters that you've set for yourself. I think it may be tough to find common dated non keys or semi key date early and mid 1800's coins in holders as I don't see the economic sense in sending that kind of material in to be graded other than lowball slicks for lowball sets. Seated dollars that are not damaged will be quite tough to find for under $100 is my thought.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said. You'd probably be better off stipulating an average of $100 per coin rather than capping the expenditure per coin at that amount.

• So maybe not a hard cap of $100. I see what you mean about seated dollars.

Maybe $100 per coin where possible, but allow more when $100 would not get even the lowest example.

OG
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are limiting yourself to $100/coin I would recommend collecting the set raw in an album. I think you will be paying a fair amount for plastic otherwise. Seeing a number of coins at once is very satisfying.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also curious, are you using the 7070 as a guide of what coins or are you going to crack and put coins into dansco album?

• OldGoldOldGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

I'm going to use the PCGS registry 7070. I'm not cracking anything out.

OG
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Seated Dollars will be the biggest stoppers and it won't be much of a Trade Dollar.
    Otherwise, go for it.
    Sounds fun.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• OldGoldOldGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    The Seated Dollars will be the biggest stoppers and it won't be much of a Trade Dollar.
    Otherwise, go for it.
    Sounds fun.

Thanks, I spent a few hours and planned out an approximate grade and price for each coin. A few coins are going triple or even quadruple my goal of $100 per coin, but overall I should be able to finish with a per coin average of $100.

OG
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of coins in that set that can be had for face value or close to it. This won’t necessarily be the case if you get slabbed coins and in those cases you might be tempted to go for super grades to justify it. For example, in my album the Lincoln cents, Jeff nickels and Roosie dimes cost about $30-$35 total. I don’t think you’ll be able to get them that cheaply in plastic. An MS67 silver Dime will cost $30-$50. A raw one will cost $3. Same for the nickels, cents, quarters, and Kennedys, basically. On the other end, my seated dollars are almost $1000 coins. With the money you save on the easy coins, you could buy nicer Capped Bust and Seated coins as well as early coppers.

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the seated and trade dollars first.. the rest is pretty easy to come buy

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set