Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS offer "Slab TrueViews" for Rattlers, Doilies, Regency and other slabs?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2, 2020 1:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Generally, the following non-US Gold Shield slab images are viewed as not as desirable as TrueView imaging, but for certain coins, there is a lot of value in the holder.

Would you like it if PCGS offered the choice to have these slab photos taken at the submitters discretion? I imagine it could be neat for certain holders like Rattlers, Doilies, Regency and other holders, including special labels.

Since Cert Verification can have multiple photos, both the slab photo and the traditional TrueView (shot in slab) could be posted for users to rotate through.

It could be nice to show off the old slabs in Cert Verification and in the Registry. There could even be old holder Registry Sets! Completion might be low but it might be a lot of fun.

Tagged:

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see why they couldn't. If they already can do this for new slabs such what you display it should just as simple for older holders.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that @PCGSPhoto occasionally takes pictures of coins already slabbed in PCGS holders. He can probably answer the question pretty quickly and definitively for us. Whether they want to start JUST photographing older generation PCGS slabs, not sure about that...

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 9:48AM

That would actually be something that would be cool, it would be awesome for my showcase set of old holders.
    https://pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/themed-coins/coins-old-holders/3293

But in order for this idea to work the registry software would need to be changed to allow for one kind of photo (a slab photo) to be used in a set but not affect the photos in other sets where the user may want a tv or other photo to be used. Currently what ever photo you upload first is the one that shows for the coin in all sets the cert is used in I believe.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

no

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would they charge?

Ken
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 1:07PM

I seem to recall Phil Arnold posting in a thread that if you want an in-slab picture he will do it, just contact him for details. I would suggest that if you go that route you clean/polish the slab the best you can.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I seem to recall Phil Arnold posting in a thread that if you want an in-slab picture he will do it, just contact him for details. I would suggest that if you go tat route you clean/polish the slab the best you can.

Here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12362690#Comment_12362690

Collector, occasional seller

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

i didn't know it was an option. Very cool.

Ken
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 1:24PM

@keets said:
    I seem to recall Phil Arnold posting in a thread that if you want an in-slab picture he will do it, just contact him for details. I would suggest that if you go tat route you clean/polish the slab the best you can.

Phil / @PCGSPhoto and team will already do "in-slab" TrueViews but not generally "slab" TrueViews.

In "in-slab" TrueView is a close up of the coin while in the slab while what I'm asking about here is a photo of the entire slab.

Here are some examples:

In-Slab TrueView

Note this is shot in the slab and you can see the gasket prongs on the obverse, with one at the top of the coin. In this case, you don't really see much of the slab.

Slab TrueView

I'm talking about something that showcases the entire slab here. Here's a quick Photoshop example. This celebrates the slab and the label so if you had an older slab or special label, you could show it off.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks beautiful @Sandman70gt ! Congrats to you and Justin / @jtlee321 ! He takes great photos and is great at Photoshop too :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file