Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else familiar with "coin in bread" holiday tradition?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a child, I remember going to some relatives of my grandfather house to celebrate Serbian Christmas. One of the coolest parts was everyone would grab a part of a large bread loaf and pull it apart at the same time. One person would get a coin(usually a dollar or half dollar) and by being the winner would also be able to make the first plate for the meal. Just wondered if there are others with this experience or something similar.

Comments

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

In China they put a small coin in one of the dumplings for New Year’s. Whoever gets it is supposed to have luck that year.

Them or the dentist.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

An English tradition, a coin - usually a penny was buried in the Christmas pudding. The pudding is a dense pudding as is plum pudding.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a sure visit to the dentist instead!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid we had a neighbor who would give us a Milky Way candy bar with a dime pushed through the wrapper and into the candy bar. My Mom did not want us to eat the candy bar but I did.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 1:47PM

I've actually been the lucky person biting into a coin in one of these traditions :)

Still have all my teeth!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 2:54PM

I guess if everyone knows the drill everything works out o.k. Otherwise......OUCH! Sounds like fun.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Greeks do it too, usually for New Year Good Luck

• Options

Anyone around here ever heard about THROWED BISCUITS? Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition in some parts. It will be here tonight. The kids go wild at the table and the men get to remember. The ladies don't care for it much. I miss the folks that aren't here any more. Always brings a tear. Anyway......they gave us the traditions.....THROW THEM BISCUITS KIDS......SANTA IS ON
    THE WAY!!!!!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I've heard of slabs placed in Salvation Army kettles so the next question is when will a slab be baked into bread or something else ;)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bit into a bullet once while eating wild hog that my neighbor killed.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2019 6:03PM

Other Holiday traditions from around the world. Come on boys and girls...... lets hear about them!!!!! God Bless America! MERRY CHRISTMAS!.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I bit into a bullet once while eating wild hog that my neighbor killed.

Eating a bullet? More times than I care to remember around my family! Oh well, you just got to go with it. Sad but true. Life goes on.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 8:01AM

Stopped putting coins in edibles.

Simple envelope works and no cooking involved. :D:)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've cooked a King's Cake for Mardi Gras... I think the ceramic figurine cooked into the cake was a baby, for luck.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the info if anyone is more interested in the tradition than the fact that the way I explained it sounded funny, dangerous or otherwise obscure! :D It's called "Cesnica"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Česnica

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file