Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Douglas F. Bird Collection

PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2019 10:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

along with The Great Pacific Collection, The Nancy & Bryan Collection & The Widok Collection

For those of you that need something to do over Christmas break. Here is some reading material for you.
The Bird Collection

Bidding will be available soon

Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

And 500 pages.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Those will be a treat for sure. For such a nice catalog, I wish the Table of Contents had page numbers in addition to lot numbers :)

Here are the intro pages for the collection. Lots of #1 sets. I wonder of Hansen will be buying?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my..................!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 12:09PM

Given that he said he collected "low grade large cents" for many years, is his high grade collection one of the best kept, long running secrets in collecting as suggested by Gordon Wrubel? It's amazing to keep such a collection secret for more than 40 years!

Are there other notable collectors that kept their collections secret for a very long period of time?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would one get a hard copy of this catalog?

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Hard Bound versions are available $125. Call our office at 800-978-2646 they will be available for purchase on the site too.. (once I get it up! lol)

Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    Thanks for posting. Those will be a treat for sure. For such a nice catalog, I wish the Table of Contents had page numbers in addition to lot numbers :)

Great idea let me see if I can get it added.
    LE

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

The quality of Doug Bird's collection is astonishing. No wonder I had trouble buying from Doug--he kept most of the best ones for his personal collection!

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 8:49AM

Thanks to Lyle (the OP) we got some damn fine pictures of the Missouri Cabinet, and this group will be quite yummy and very dependable too. @BigMoose's specialty is buying Jim McGuigan's 4th best duplicates, which are as nice as Doug's.

In fairness, a lot of half-cent collectors also like @BigMoose's second best stuff and Walter Husak has attempted to pick him off on Large Cents multiple times, so you should take his "astonishing" seriously. :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am impressed by his modesty

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a must have catalog.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Auction is open for bidding..... catalogs will mail beginning of next week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file