Home Stamps Forum
Options

Selling stamps on eBay question

pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have thousands of stamps to part with. They are organized into small lots. I will list them on eBay sometime next year. Anyway, If I charge $1 for shipping and use a plain white envelope will my top rated seller status take a hit since I cannot provide a tracking number to the listing? I feel that if I charged $3 for first class, thus receiving a tracking number, not too many people will purchase a .99 stamp lot with $3 shipping fee. Or should I just go ahead and list with the $3 shipping fee? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might do better asking on the Coins forum -= there is a lot more activity Just don't mention that you are selling stamps.

No idea on seller status issues, but as a buyer I wont buy a 99 cent item with $3 postage,

Maybe make larger lots? or hopefully these are things buyers might purchase several of?

• Options

@JBK said:
    Might do better asking on the Coins forum -= there is a lot more activity Just don't mention that you are selling stamps.

No idea on seller status issues, but as a buyer I wont buy a 99 cent item with $3 postage,

Maybe make larger lots? or hopefully these are things buyers might purchase several of?

Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969

The buyer of items without a tracking can report item not received and you’d be on the hook to replace/refund (even if they received it.) Too many and it might cause an issue with TRS.

As @JBK stated making your lots bigger (value-wise) maybe more cost effective to justify the FCP tracking costs.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @pab1969

The buyer of items without a tracking can report item not received and you’d be on the hook to replace/refund (even if they received it.) Too many and it might cause an issue with TRS.

As @JBK stated making your lots bigger (value-wise) maybe more cost effective to justify the FCP tracking costs.

Thanks. I think I will make bigger bulk lots of common stamps to cover the $3 shipping and tracking issue. I'm still undecided on what to do with the smaller (rarer) or individual stamp lots.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real question you should be asking is whether it will be possible to actually break even (let alone make a profit) on selling something like this on eBay. There was a time when low value items could be successfully sold on eBay but increases in fees, and more "regulations" regarding selling on eBay have really driven up the costs. You may be better off in trying to find a stamp dealer who buys that kind of thing, take what you can get, and just walk away.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The real question you should be asking is whether it will be possible to actually break even (let alone make a profit) on selling something like this on eBay. There was a time when low value items could be successfully sold on eBay but increases in fees, and more "regulations" regarding selling on eBay have really driven up the costs. You may be better off in trying to find a stamp dealer who buys that kind of thing, take what you can get, and just walk away.

I understand your point. I have been selling other collectibles on eBay for over a year now and have felt the sting of the fees and regulations. I am going into this (stamps) with low expectations. Any profit, even marginal, will be more than them collecting dust in my closet. I never thought about a stamp dealer but maybe I will try that avenue if eBay doesn't pan out. I sold a small lot of first day covers awhile back and was pleasantly surprised with the final result. I had no expectations for that lot. That transaction is what got me thinking into listing other stamp items on eBay. Thanks for your input.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I have thousands of stamps to part with. They are organized into small lots. I will list them on eBay sometime next year. Anyway, If I charge $1 for shipping and use a plain white envelope will my top rated seller status take a hit since I cannot provide a tracking number to the listing? I feel that if I charged $3 for first class, thus receiving a tracking number, not too many people will purchase a .99 stamp lot with $3 shipping fee. Or should I just go ahead and list with the $3 shipping fee? Any thoughts?

I started a second account to do this so as not to jeopardize my status

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Ebay fees are a percentage. The 30 cent Paypal fee is the biggest issue. You can make money this way, but only if you value your time at zero.

Wholesale price on miscellaneous stamp lots is basically kilo weight cost.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I started a second account to do this so as not to jeopardize my status

Thanks for the advice.