Options

2020 BB HOF Candidates

2»

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    How about Bill Freehan? Many would argue that he was better than Tenace.

And they'd be right, but if the HOF Committee is just working its way down the JAWS list then ol' Fury has a chance.

I agree Bill Freehan and Thurman Munson are Hall Of Famers. Tenace was a leader on those As
    Teams however his highlights were mainly in the World Series.Today Gene would rate better than any catcher in baseball.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiveniner said:
    I agree Bill Freehan and Thurman Munson are Hall Of Famers. Tenace was a leader on those As
    Teams however his highlights were mainly in the World Series.Today Gene would rate better than any catcher in baseball.

Well, I like Munson and he was a fine player, but he was no HOFer. He only played 10 years (plus a stub rookie season) and his numbers slid a lot from year 8 to year 9 and then again from year 9 to year 10. Had he not died, his career was effectively over anyway. Not Munson's fault, but because he was so good his managers used him way too much. He averaged 153 games played (128 of those at catcher) over his last 4 full seasons; you can't do that to a catcher without breaking him and Munson was broken at the end.

But yes, Tenace would rate better than any catcher playing today. Mauer is a better player, but rather than break him his manager moved him to 1st base years ago, and Posey, despite some great early seasons, has fallen off a cliff since reaching 30. If the Giants haven't broken him already, they will if they play him at catcher next year. Molina is obviously a much better catcher, and he'll breeze into the HOF because of that, but his hitting is so much worse than Tenace's that Tenace still rates higher overall.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 11:22PM

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:
    Ok I just found out. Wow what a joke. Munson, Murphy, and Mattingly only got 3 votes. Its nothing but a popularity contest.

Pretty sure that proves it is not a popularity contest. Munson and Mattingly were probably the 2 most popular players on the list, and they didn't get in, therefore not making it a popularity contest at all.

No, NO. I didnt mean the most popular among the fans. I meant the most popular among the people who have a vote. Thats how Baines got in last time. Its pretty ignorant to elect a union executive that hardly anyone has heard of. Instead they should be elected deserving candidates that were popular with fans. There were MVP's/Big time ALL-STARS on that list that got shafted. Just makes no sense.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:
    Ok I just found out. Wow what a joke. Munson, Murphy, and Mattingly only got 3 votes. Its nothing but a popularity contest.

Pretty sure that proves it is not a popularity contest. Munson and Mattingly were probably the 2 most popular players on the list, and they didn't get in, therefore not making it a popularity contest at all.

No, NO. I didnt mean the most popular among the fans. I meant the most popular among the people who have a vote. Thats how Baines got in last time. Its pretty ignorant to elect a union executive that hardly anyone has heard of. Instead they should be elected deserving candidates that were popular with fans. There were MVP's/Big time ALL-STARS on that list that got shafted. Just makes no sense.

Do a little research on Marvin Miller before you just call him a union executive no one has heard of. He should have been inducted long ago, and it shouldn’t have taken this long.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:

Do a little research on Marvin Miller before you just call him a union executive no one has heard of. He should have been inducted long ago, and it shouldn’t have taken this long.

Disagree. Its debatable whether or not he actually helped the game. George Brett stated 'players backing him have not been uniform.'

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Disagree. Its debatable whether or not he actually helped the game. George Brett stated 'players backing him have not been uniform.'

That's only because players are idiots.

Miller changed everything for players. EVERYTHING they take for granted now - real paychecks, licensing fees, good working conditions, free agency, 10/5 protection...all of it goes back to Miller.

If a player doesn't recognize what Miller did...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:

@orioles93 said:

@coolstanley said:

This.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2019 4:31AM

MLB is the worst sport of the major 4. The small market teams cant compete because they have to give up their young talent to the teams who can afford $324 million contracts.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    MLB is the worst sport of the major 4. The small market teams cant compete because they have to give up their young talent to the teams who can afford $324 million contracts.

Basketball BY FAR the worst.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot of greedy owners in mlb. even after all of the labor strikes the rich teams still will not share with the small market teams to make it an even playing field for all of major league baseball. that luxury tax that the big markets pay is still a joke and does not help the small market teams.

• Options

@lwehlers said:
    a lot of greedy owners in mlb. even after all of the labor strikes the rich teams still will not share with the small market teams to make it an even playing field for all of major league baseball. that luxury tax that the big markets pay is still a joke and does not help the small market teams.

Exactly.

The other 3 major sports all have salary caps I believe. MLB is a joke.

Ignore list -Basebal21