Home Stamps Forum
Options

Pre 1959 Cuba, US possessions

My dad was Cuban and so I started a collection. Better said, an accumulation. So one day I was at the flea market and met a dealer from Cuba. Nice man. I was 17 or so at the time. He explained the difference between an accumulation and a collection and invited me to his home. Said...go at it..and I put a collection together in a matter of hours. Through many years, a fire and many other mishaps, I've been building the collection up again. It is rather difficult since most will not sell due to the embargo. Easier to find under Spanish colonies, Hispaniola, Caribbean stamps, etc. Dumb when you consider there was a time the island was a US possession. How do you guys feel about the subject?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do we feel about Cuban stamps or the embargo? :D

Sounds like a good niche hobby that is hopefully not too expensive since stamp collecting in general is in decline.

Ivw been to Cuba and I am not sure how many collectors there are down there. They seemed to have other priorities. But, I am sure there are some real treasures there.

If your father was Cuban you must have some distant relatives you could connect with. It would be (relatively) easy to visit with the family exemption to the embargo.