Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trending prices.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which way are prices trending on the specific series' that you collect or follow?? I noticed this morning that for Walking Liberty Half-Dollars some of the dates/grades that I am interested in have continued to move down. My reference is the PCGS online price guide. Can you opine about any that you follow??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriotic Civil War Tokens seem to be steady or perhaps slightly increasing in prices. Have not won an auction at my fair value price in the last few months (coins in the $30-$200 price range).

Generic older gold, while the prices (say melt plus 5-10%) aren’t changing, the quality of coins seems to be going up. Seeing many more ms 63 and Au58 In that price range, some even with stickers. This seems to indicate that prices on generic gold are dropping, with more coins just worth melt plus a small premium.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't think of a single coin series that has rising prices. NOTE, I said series. You can tell me about the great value in some absolute or condition rarity, but pretty much all of the SERIES are flat to decreasing.

Error coins seem to be appreciating as do many areas of exonumia. This is probably largely supply driven as those items are not nearly as common as most coins.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not feeling any love in Lincoln values. In fact, I see losses in cents I need to sell soon that were the victims of upgrades.
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing much strength in the categories i follow. Modern gold commems are still hugging the toilet. $10 Library in MS has
    improved a bit. CC Morgans are steady in mid grades and sleepy at higher grades.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Availability keeps prices at good entry levels ( for hobbyists) .... it's upgrading which gets costly in every series. ( for me)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are all those "internet only" young collectors we keep hearing about?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

They might be starting to come out of the woodwork, last show we did in Syracuse had a young fellow of about 25 years age purchase a nice 3 cent silver we had (1851O) . Said he had been buying most of his coins online but that the new sales tax being charged on ebay purchases made him decide to check out some local coin shows! He was surpised by the number of good coins available and their prices- with dealers willing to negotiate prices.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saints appear overall steady during the last year.
    Some are up and others down but there doesn't seem to be any pattern.
    (not counting top pops or "old bullion")

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to look, but I will keep collecting.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevinstang said:

@291fifth said:

They might be starting to come out of the woodwork, last show we did in Syracuse had a young fellow of about 25 years age purchase a nice 3 cent silver we had (1851O) . Said he had been buying most of his coins online but that the new sales tax being charged on ebay purchases made him decide to check out some local coin shows! He was surpised by the number of good coins available and their prices- with dealers willing to negotiate prices.

Lucky for him so many dealers are tax cheats...

[Just saying...]

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seated dimes are flat to slightly up over the past 10 years.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 11:36PM

Washingtoniana has gone through the roof with the Baker collection sale. I'm waiting to see if this is a permanent change or if things will go back to the way they were before.

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a downward trend in the last few years for all common dates and grades across the board, but the high grade rarities seem to be going up a little. Toned coins seem to be in an upward trend right now as well.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 12:47AM

Several months ago I started putting together two CAC sets after I noticed that prices of high grade coins have come down quite significantly over the past few years AND where the differential in pricing is very minimal between those coins with CAC’s and those without - 50 coin Classic Silver Commemorative Type Set and Lincoln Wheat Cent Date Set, all in red.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 7:54AM

Commems are flat.

I track PCGS 3000 for overall market picture.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past 5 years ive noticed proof and MS Type coins have come way way down. And dmpls and pls haven't done much in past 3 years.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

braided cents xf to 63-steady

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Commems are flat.

I track PCGS 3000 for overall market picture

Over the weekend maybe.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list