Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The only modern coins I love...gold proof Libertads!

You all know me...generally has to be from the 1700s or 1800s to get my attention, but I have to confess to loving Mexican Libertads. Just got my 1/4oz Gold proof in for my PCGS registry set and could not help but make a 'Coins in Motion' video of it (I am getting better at these the more I do them). Coin is still in the capsule as I didn't want to risk taking it out just to shoot a video. Seems like 2019 will be a good year for the 1oz, 1/2oz and 1/4oz proof Gold with 750, 650, and 800 minted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-arZE5Y-_0

Tagged:

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seen your YouTube video with your collection ;) . Very nice beautiful coins

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Libertad, but I picked this up a few years ago. Less than a handful known.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas I know a bit about Mexican coins, but not this. And the difference from the other 1.272 million 20 peso gold pieces dated 1959 is?

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @pruebas I know a bit about Mexican coins, but not this. And the difference from the other 1.272 million 20 peso gold pieces dated 1959 is?

It’s a Proof. NGC PF68UCAM IIRC.

There are also about 3 50 Pesos Oro in Proof too.

Yes, it’s a restrike, so theoretically more could be made. But they haven’t been yet.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas, not sure it qualifies as restrike if there are only a few, and all from the same year(?)

@Abuelo 1959 is the “restrike year” for the gold 20 Pesos.

All the modern restrikes (bullion) have that year. The proofs were made from restrike dies.

All the catalogs say 13,000 originals dated 1959 and almost 1.3 million restrikes, so the odds are overwhelming with @pruebas.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    All the catalogs say 13,000 originals dated 1959 and almost 1.3 million restrikes, so the odds are overwhelming with @pruebas.

But the fact that this is proof makes it a different from the restrike. As you know the production of a proof coin is not the same as an business, no matter how proof like it is. This is a different coin, not a regular 59 restrike. Take a look to the August 2014 sale by Stack's as they sold one of the few known. Both 1959 issues are side to side, they are just not the same. And as you know, the dies for proofs are prepared differently. In fact, not even sure how is that we are arguing this point. In any event, good night to all. Cheers!

edited December 4, 2019 4:05AM

I have heard more statements and misstatements about the 1959 20 pesos gold than most coins, and I no longer know what to believe. I would have little interest in the coin, except that it is my birth year. I only need one example.

Has the "proof" 1959-dated coin shown above been slabbed? Tabs make it appear so, but?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are attractive coins.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I have heard more statements and misstatements about the 1959 20 pesos gold than most coins, and I no longer know what to believe. I would have little interest in the coin, except that it is my birth year. I only need one example.

Has the "proof" 1959-dated coin shown above been slabbed? Tabs make it appear so, but?

Stack's sold a slabbed PF in August 2014. I do not know if it is the same, but looks like.
    They sold a collection of 20 pesos, all the business and the proof. The Sun Stone collection or something like that.

Interesting. I looked here and ATS, and can't make either site show me information on slabbed proofs of this coin, just other MS and a few circulated slabbed.

I find the "new die" 1959 coins interesting too, but many folks ask a sizable premium.

My coin above is from the Sun Stone Collection that @Abuelo mentioned. When re-engraving the restrike dies, one was probably made especially for the proof coins.

You can still buy the 1959 restrike 20 Pesos from the Mexican Mint. They sell at bullion price plus a premium just like Libertads. Nothing special about them.

My question would be does the label on the slabbed coin say "PF"?

Photos are nice, but seeing the piece in hand is better. I will likely never see this in hand, so what did the slabber say?

@pruebas said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

It’s a Proof. NGC PF68UCAM IIRC.

Didn’t I already say it was? That’s why I posted it here!

NGC Pop Report for the 20 Pesos gold is showing some PF and some SP coins. For 50 Pesos, only SP coins. (FWIW, I’ve seen a real proof 50 Pesos gold and it’s beautiful.)

PCGS Pop has no proofs.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Small montage on these moderns .

Both those designs are very cool.